Haley Danita Anderson (born November 20, 1991) is an American competitive swimmer who is an Olympic silver medalist. She placed second in the 10-kilometer open water event at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
|Full name||Haley Danita Anderson|
|National team||United States|
November 20, 1991|
Santa Clara, California
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||150 lb (68 kg)|
|Club||Sierra Marlins Swim Team|
|College team||University of Southern California|
At the 2009 Junior Pan Pacific Championships, Anderson placed first in the 800-meter and 1,500-meter freestyle events.
At the 2009 USA Nationals and World Championship Trials, Anderson placed second in the 800-meter freestyle in 8:31.66, earning a place to compete at the 2009 World Aquatics Championships in Rome. At the World Championships, Anderson placed 28th in the 800-meter freestyle (8:45.91) and ninth in the 1,500-meter freestyle (16:20.62).
In June 2012, Anderson qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics by placing first at the FINA Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier in Setubal in the 10-kilometer open water event. Anderson later competed at the 2012 United States Olympic Trials in the hopes of also competing in the pool but narrowly missed the team by finishing third in the 800-meter freestyle. She also competed in the 400-meter individual medley and placed eighth in the final.
At the 2012 Olympics in London, Anderson earned a silver medal by placing second in the 10-kilometer marathon event, finishing four tenths (0.40) of a second behind the winner, Éva Risztov of Hungary, over the 6.2 miles of the event. Her sister Alyssa earned a gold medal at the 2012 Olympics as a member of the winning U.S. team in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay.
At the 15th FINA World Championships in Barcelona in 2013, Anderson won the gold medal in the 5-kilometer open water competition.
At the AT&T Winter Nationals located in Federal Way, WA, Anderson won first in both the women's 800 meter freestyle and the women's 200 meter butterfly.
Personal bests (long course)Edit
|800 m freestyle||8:26.60||July 2012|
- "2009 Conoco Phillips National Championships results: Women's 800m freestyle final" (PDF). July 11, 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 6, 2009.
- FINA Worlds: U.S. swimming rosters
- "2009 World Championships results: Women's 800m freestyle preliminaries" (PDF). July 31, 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 6, 2009.
- "2009 World Championships results: Women's 1500m freestyle preliminaries" (PDF). July 27, 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 6, 2009.
- Crouse, Karen (August 9, 2012). "Haley Anderson Wins Silver in 10K Swim". The New York Times. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- "Haley Anderson Wins Open-water 5K at swim-worlds". Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Haley Anderson at FINA
- Haley Anderson at the International Olympic Committee
- Haley Anderson at USA Swimming
- Haley Anderson at the United States Olympic Committee
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Haley Anderson". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.
- Haley Anderson – University of Southern California athlete profile at USCTrojans.com