H. C. Verma
Harish Chandra Verma
|Known for||Concepts of Physics textbook|
|Thesis||Studies Of The Electric Field Gradients in Non-cubic Metals Using 57^Fe Mössbauer Spectroscopy (1980)|
|Doctoral advisor||Prof. G. N. Rao (IIT Kanpur)|
He has authored several school, undergraduate and graduate textbooks, the most popular being the two-volume Concepts of Physics. He has co-founded Shiksha Sopan, a social upliftment organization for economically weaker children living near the campus of IIT Kanpur.
He has been awarded the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Shiksha Puruskar by the Bihar state government. In 2020, the Government of India awarded him the Padma Shri, India's fourth highest civilian award.
Verma was born in Darbhanga, Bihar. His father was a teacher in Samastipur. After he passed high school, he obtained his B. Sc. degree at the Patna Science College. He obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur.
Patna Science CollegeEdit
Verma has developed more than six hundred ‘low cost’ physics experiments which teachers can employ in their classrooms. In 2011, he set up the National Anveshika Network of India (NANI), a flagship programme of the Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT). He is the national coordinator for this programme. There are currently 22 Anveshikas in the country. 
- Concepts of Physics Part-1, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, 1992, ISBN 8177091875
- Concepts of Physics Part-2, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, 1992, ISBN 8177092324
- Quantum Physics, Surya Publication, ISBN 9788192571409
- Foundation Science Physics for class 9, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, ISBN 9788177097313
- Foundation Science Physics for class 10, Bharati Bhawan Publishers & Distributors, ISBN 9350270064
- Nuclear Physics: Fundamentals and Applications (organised by National Program for Technology Enhanced Learning, NPTEL)
- Learning Physics through Simple Experiments (Massive Online Open Course in 2016)
- Physics of Semiconductors (Massive Online Open Course in 2017)
- B.Sc. courses in Hindi - Basics of Special Theory of Relativity (2018)
- Basics of Quantum Mechanics (2019)
- Advanced Course on the Special Theory of Relativity (2020)
- Classical Electromagnetism - Electrostatics (2020)
- Classical Mechanics (2021)
- The Story of Photoelectric Effect (2021)
- "Profile of DR. H. C. Verma". Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Meet Padma Shri HC Verma, who struggled to pass in school, teaches India Physics today". Hindustan Times. 10 February 2020.
- "Meet the man who taught India physics". Deccan Chronicle. 6 June 2018.
- "Spreading the light of knowledge". The Tribune. 31 August 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Azad honour for physics teacher". The Telegraph. 11 November 2017.
- "Padma Awards | Interactive Dashboard". www.dashboard-padmaawards.gov.in. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- Verma, H C. "Prof. H C Verma". H C Verma. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "IIT Kanpur's HC Verma retires, students pour adoration on Twitter". The Indian Express. 3 July 2017.
- "प्रो. एचसी वर्मा को मौलाना आजाद शिक्षा पुरस्कार". Hindustan (in Hindi). Retrieved 28 August 2020.