|Coordinates (commune): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Cristian Alejandro Alvarado Oyarzo (Ind)|
|• Total||787.0 km2 (303.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||72 m (236 ft)|
|• Density||1.9/km2 (4.8/sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||56 + 67|
|Website||Municipality of Guaitecas|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Guaitecas spans an area of 787 km2 (304 sq mi) and has 1,539 inhabitants (913 men and 626 women). Of these, 1,411 (91.7%) lived in urban areas and 128 (8.3%) in rural areas. The population grew by 20% (256 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. Much of the population of Guaitecas is of Chilote-Huilliche background.
As a commune, Guaitecas is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde was Luis Miranda Chiguay (RN). In December 2018 Cristian Alvarado Oyarzo who was then alcalde was preventively detained as part of an investigation where he is accused of a fraud against the state (Spanish: fraude al fisco) for at least 340 million pesos.
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Guaitecas is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by René Alinco (PDC) and David Sandoval (UDI) as part of the 59th electoral district, which includes the entire Aysén del General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo Region. The commune is represented in the Senate by Antonio Horvath Kiss (RN) and Patricio Walker Prieto (PDC) as part of the 18th senatorial constituency (Aysén del General Carlos Ibáñez del Campo Region).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Guaitecas" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- Saavedra G., Gonzalo (2007). "Prácticas Económicas en las Costas Insulares de Aisén. Testimonios de Persistencia y Transformación" (PDF). Actas del 6º Congreso Chileno de Antropología. VI Congreso Chileno de Antropología (in Spanish). Valdivia: Colegio de Antropólogos de Chile A. G. pp. 1696–1703.
- Alcalde de Guaitecas queda en prisión preventiva tras ser formalizado por millonario fraude al fisco
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Guaitecas