Great Transport (Serbo-Croatian: Veliki transport) is a 1983 Yugoslav action–drama war film directed by Veljko Bulajić. The film was selected as the Yugoslav entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 56th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee. Great Transport stars James Franciscus, Steve Railsback, Robert Vaughn, Helmut Berger, and Edward Albert.
|Original title||Veliki transport|
|Directed by||Veljko Bulajić|
|Edited by||Vesna Lažeta|
In May 1943, Yugoslav Partisans' HQ in Vojvodina decides to send reinforcements to beleaguered Partisan units in eastern Bosnia. A convoy of more than a thousand volunteers carrying food, clothes and medicine, led by Pavle Paroški, embarks on a dangerous mission. They are joined by Paroški's girlfriend Dunja, doctor Emil Kovač, and British major Mason and his radio operator Danny, who are tasked with establishing the communications with the Partisans.
- James Franciscus as Major John Mason
- Steve Railsback as Pavle Paroški
- Robert Vaughn as Dr. Emil Kovač
- Helmut Berger as Colonel Glassendorf
- Edward Albert as Danny Owens
- Joseph Campanella as German Major
- Bata Zivojinovic as Kosta
- Dragana Varagić as Dunja
- Zvonko Lepetić as Baća
- Ljiljana Blagojević as Dragana
- Tihomir Arsić as Jocika
- Dragomir Felba as Tima
- Dragan Bjelogrlić as Bora
- Dušan Janićijević as Commander Miloš
Release and receptionEdit
Bulajić's attempt of emulating the epic scope of Battle of Neretva (1969) did not find success with the critics, and was ignored by the audiences, who saw it as an anachronism, particularly in the times of economic adversity in Yugoslavia in the 1980s. Its failure marked the end of an era of epic Yugoslav partisan films.
- "Veliki transport". Baza HR kinematografije (in Croatian). Croatian Film Association. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "Veljko Bulajić". The New York Times. New York City: The New York Times Company. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- "The 56th Academy Awards (1984) Nominees and Winners". Academy Awards. Beverly Hills, California: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- Pavičić 2016, p. 61.
- "Veliki transport". Delta Video. Sofia: Balkan media. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- Pavičić 2016, pp. 61–62.
- Pavičić, Jurica (2016). "Titoist Cathedrals: The Rise and Fall of Partisan Film". In Ognjenović, Gorana; Jozelić, Jasna (eds.). Titoism, Self-Determination, Nationalism, Cultural Memory: Volume Two, Tito's Yugoslavia, Stories Untold (1st ed.). London: Palgrave Macmillan. doi:10.1057/978-1-137-59747-2. ISBN 978-1-137-59745-8. LCCN 2016944026.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)