Good Magic (foaled March 1, 2015) is an American Thoroughbred racehorse who was the 2017 American Champion Two-Year-Old. He became the first horse to ever break his maiden in the Breeders' Cup when he won the 2017 Breeders' Cup Juvenile. As a three-year-old, he won the Blue Grass Stakes and Haskell Invitational, and finished second to Justify in the 2018 Kentucky Derby.
|Dam||Glinda the Good|
|Foaled||March 1, 2015|
|Breeder||Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings|
|Owner||e Five Racing & Stonestreet Stables|
|Blue Grass Stakes (2018)|
Haskell Invitational (2018) Breeders' Cup wins:
Breeders' Cup Juvenile (2017)
|American Champion Two-Year-Old Male Horse (2017)|
|Last updated on September 24, 2018|
Good Magic is a chestnut colt bred in Kentucky by Stonestreet Stables, which is now owned by Barbara Banke. Banke is the widow of Jess Stonestreet Jackson, who co-owned two-time Horse of the Year Curlin, whose wins included the Preakness Stakes, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup. Curlin is the sire of Good Magic and multiple other stakes winners including Exaggerator, Stellar Wind, Keen Ice and Palace Malice. Good Magic's dam is Glinda the Good, a stakes-winning daughter of Hard Spun.
Good Magic was sold at the 2016 Keeneland September Yearling Sales for $1 million to Bob Edward's e Five Racing. Edwards, who also owns the pet pharmaceutical company e5 Pharma, started horseracing operations in August 2015. Banke subsequently bought back a share of the colt.
Good Magic made his racing debut on August 26, 2017 in a maiden special weight race at Saratoga. Going off as the odds-on favorite, he stalked the early pace but was unable to get by the winner, Hazit, who prevailed by a length.
Despite the loss, Brown stepped the colt up to Grade I company in the Champagne Stakes at Belmont Park on October 7. The field included only one graded stakes winner, Firenze Fire, but had several highly regarded maiden race winners like Hazit and Aveenu Malcainu. Good Magic raced in mid-pack behind a fast early pace then made a wide move around the turn to hit the lead in mid-stretch. However, he was then overtaken by Firenze Fire, who closed from well back to win by half a length.
Believing Good Magic was rapidly improving and would benefit from longer races, Brown decided to enter him in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Del Mar on November 4. The favorite was the undefeated Bolt d'Oro, whose wins included the FrontRunner Stakes. The field also included Solomini (second in the FrontRunner), Firenze Fire (Champagne), The Tabulator (Iroquois Stakes) and Free Drop Billy (Breeders' Futurity).
Good Magic broke well and settled near the rail behind the early leaders, Solomini and U S Navy Flag, with The Tabulator racing alongside. Rounding the final turn, Solomini moved to the lead as U S Navy Flag started to tire. With U S Navy Flag in front of him and The Tabulator on his outside, Good Magic's jockey, José Ortiz, decided to wait rather than try to squeeze by on the rail, having been warned by Brown that the inside of the track was not playing well. When a gap opened, Good Magic split horses, moved to the outside and "zoomed past" Solomini on his way to a 4+1⁄4-length victory. Good Magic became the first horse to ever break his maiden at the Breeders' Cup.
"He's not a real big horse", said Brown, "but he's growing. It was his first time around two turns, and he aced the test."
Good Magic received a Beyer Speed Figure of 100 for the win and entered into consideration for the Eclipse Award for champion two-year-old. In Pool 1 of the future wager for the 2018 Kentucky Derby, he was made the top individual pick at 8–1.
2018: three-year-old seasonEdit
Good Magic made his first start of 2018 in the Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park on March 3. Although he had trained well in the weeks before the race, Good Magic was considered vulnerable due to a lack of racing fitness. He settled in fourth place behind Promises Fulfilled, who set a steady pace and held on to win as an 18-1 longshot. Good Magic started to close ground around the turn but flattened down the stretch to finish third.
On April 7, Good Magic made his next start in the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland racetrack. He settled into fifth behind the early pace set by Arawak and Flameaway, then launched his move around the far turn, drawing away down the stretch for a 1+1⁄2-length win. "He ran maybe a little short fitness-wise in his last race and came back and redeemed himself today", said Brown. "He put himself right at the top of the class again."
On May 5, Good Magic was entered in the 2018 Kentucky Derby, going off as the sixth betting choice at odds of 9.7-1 in a field of 20. The favorite was Justify, winner of the Santa Anita Derby. The track was muddy after exceptionally heavy rain throughout the day. Good Magic broke well and settled a few lengths behind a fast early pace set by Promises Fulfilled and Justify. As they rounded the final turn, Promises Fulfilled dropped back while Good Magic shifted to the outside and started to make up ground on Justify. He closed to within a length and a half at the top of the stretch before Justify again pulled away, eventually winning by 2+1⁄2 lengths. Good Magic tired in the final strides but still hung on for second against a fast closing Audible.
Good Magic's connections decided to race him just two weeks later in the 2018 Preakness Stakes, where he again faced Justify over a sloppy track. This time, Ortiz decided to press the pace more closely and raced side by side with Justify until mid-stretch. At that point, Justify started to inch away while Bravazo and Tenfold started closing rapidly. In a blanket finish, Good Magic finished fourth to Justify, but just one length behind. The change in tactics was somewhat controversial, with Ortiz feeling that he had "messed up". Brown was also disappointed because Good Magic does not like to be on the lead, but felt the colt's inside post position and the lack of other early speed horses didn't leave Ortiz with many options.
Good Magic was given a long layoff to recover from his spring campaign, then returned on July 29 in the Haskell Invitational. With Justify having recently retired with a minor injury, Good Magic was made the 1-2 favorite in a field of seven. He stalked the early pace set by longshot Roaming Union, then took the lead as they rounded the final turn. He widened his lead to four lengths in mid-stretch before easing up near the finish line, winning by three lengths over Bravazo.
Good Magic made his next start on August 25 as the favorite in the Travers Stakes, but was never a factor and finished ninth. After the race, Brown discovered the colt had a high white blood cell count indicating an infection. Before sending the colt to Stonestreet Farm for some time off, he decided to send the colt to Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital for evaluation.
Good Magic was officially retired on September 24, 2018. He will stand at Hill 'n' Dale Farms starting in 2019.
|Aug 26, 2017||2||6+1⁄2 furlongs||Maiden Special Weight||Maiden||Saratoga||0.75*||5||2||1:16.40||(1 length)||John Velazquez|||
|Oct 7, 2017||2||1 mile||Champagne Stakes||Grade I||Belmont Park||4.30||12||2||1:35.91||(1⁄2 length)||José Ortiz|||
|Nov 4, 2017||2||1+1⁄16 miles||Breeders' Cup Juvenile||Grade I||Del Mar||11.50||12||1||1:43.34||4+1⁄4 lengths||José Ortiz|||
|Mar 3, 2018||3||1+1⁄16 miles||Fountain of Youth Stakes||Grade II||Gulfstream Park||0.70*||9||3||1:44.17||(2 lengths)||José Ortiz|||
|Apr 7, 2018||3||1+1⁄8 miles||Blue Grass Stakes||Grade II||Keeneland||1.60*||14||1||1:50.18||1+1⁄2 lengths||José Ortiz|||
|May 5, 2018||3||1+1⁄4 miles||Kentucky Derby||Grade I||Churchill Downs||9.70||20||2||2:05.31||(2+1⁄2 lengths)||José Ortiz|||
|May 19, 2018||3||1+3⁄16 miles||Preakness Stakes||Grade I||Pimlico||3.90||8||4||1:58.62||(1 length)||José Ortiz|||
|July 29, 2018||3||1+1⁄8 miles||Haskell Invitational||Grade I||Monmouth Park||0.50*||7||1||1:50.01||3 lengths||José Ortiz|||
|Aug 25, 2018||3||1+1⁄4 miles||Travers Stakes||Grade I||Saratoga||1.45*||10||9||2:01.94||(15+1⁄2 lengths)||José Ortiz|||
An asterisk after the odds means Good Magic was the post-time favorite.
|Mr. Prospector||Raise a Native|
|Classy 'n Smart||Smarten|
|Deputy Minister||Vice Regent|
Glinda the Good
|Pas de Nom|
|Display Copy (family: 12-c)|
Good Magic is inbred 3S x 4D to Mr. Prospector, meaning this stallion appears in the third generation of the sire's side of the pedigree and in the fourth generation of the dam's side. Good Magic is also inbred 5S x 4D x 5D to Northern Dancer.
- "Pedigree of Good Magic". Equineline. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Good Magic – Equibase Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- Hunter, Avalyn. "Curlin (horse)". American Classic Pedigrees. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "'Magic' Continues for e Five as Curlin Colt Romps in Juvenile". www.thoroughbreddailynews.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Breeders' Cup winners justify big price tags". www.drf.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Chart for August 26, 2017 – Saratoga Race 1". Equibase. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Aveenu Malcainu on Right Path for Champagne". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Chart for the Champagne Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Angst, Frank. "Firenze Fire Bounces Back to Win Champagne". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Good Magic wins maiden in BC Juvenile". ESPN.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Drape, Joe; Mather, Victor (3 November 2017). "2017 Breeders' Cup Contenders: The Experts Make Their Picks". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Key contenders in the 2017 Breeders' Cup Juvenile | Daily Racing Form". www.drf.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Good Magic Well Clear To Break Maiden In Breeders' Cup Juvenile; Bolt D'Oro Third". www.paulickreport.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Road to the Derby: Breeders' Cup Juvenile | Daily Racing Form". www.drf.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Good Magic Takes Down Bolt d'Oro in Juvenile". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Good Magic is Eclipse Award-worthy, Brown says | Daily Racing Form". www.drf.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Pool 1 of Kentucky Derby Future Wager opens Thursday for 20th time | Daily Racing Form". www.drf.com. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Breeders' Cup Juvenile Carries Eclipse to Good Magic". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Johnson, J. Keeler. "Is Good Magic Vulnerable in the Fountain of Youth?". cs.bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Promises Fulfilled Pulls Fountain of Youth Upset". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Good Magic Lives Up to the Hype in Blue Grass". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Chart of the 2018 Kentucky Derby". Equibase. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Justify Untouchable in Kentucky Derby". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "Chart of the 2018 Preakness Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Good Magic Controversy: Did Pace-Pressing Trip Ruin Colt's Preakness Chances? – Horse Racing News | Paulick Report". www.paulickreport.com. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Chart of the Haskell Invitational". equibase.com. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Good Magic Rolls in Haskell at Monmouth". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Champion Good Magic to Stonestreet for Time Off". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Champion Good Magic Retired to Hill 'n' Dale Farms". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Chart for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile". Equibase. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Chart for the Fountain of Youth". Equibase. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Chart for the Blue Grass Stakes" (PDF). Equibase. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Chart of the Travers Stakes". Equibase. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Thoroughbred Bloodlines – Meynell – Family 12-c". www.bloodlines.net. Retrieved 23 November 2017.