Blue Grass Stakes
The Blue Grass Stakes, currently the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes due to sponsorship by the Toyota Motor Corporation, is a horse race for 3-year-old Thoroughbreds held annually in April at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Kentucky. The race is run at 1+1⁄8 miles on the dirt and currently offers a purse of $1,000,000. It ran as a Grade II event in 2017. The Blue Grass was a Grade I event from 1974 (when grading was first introduced) through 1989 and again from 1999 to 2016.
|Grade II race|
|Location||Keeneland Race Course, Lexington, Kentucky, USA|
|Distance||1+1⁄8 miles (9 Furlongs)|
|Weight||123 lbs (55.8 kg)|
|Purse||$1,000,000 (since 2015)|
First run at the Kentucky Association track in Lexington in 1911, the Blue Grass has, from its inception, served as an important prep for the Kentucky Derby. At the Lexington Association track, the Blue Grass was staged from 1911 through 1914 and from 1919 through 1926. The race was revived at Keeneland in the spring of 1937. In 1943–1944, the Blue Grass was renewed as a part of the Keeneland-at-Churchill Downs meeting. In 1945, the Blue Grass was run as part of the Churchill Downs meeting. Today it is part of the Keeneland program.
Fastest Time: (at Current Distance of 1+1⁄8 miles)
- 1:47.20 – Skip Away (1996)
- Most wins by an owner
- 6 – Calumet Farm (1938, 1943, 1947, 1948, 1968, 1978)
- Most wins by a jockey
- 6 – Bill Shoemaker (1959, 1960, 1965, 1966, 1969, 1982)
Most wins by a trainer: (tied)
Winners of the Lexington Association Blue Grass StakesEdit
|1926||Bubbling Over||3||Eddie Legere||Herbert J. Thompson||Idle Hour Stock Farm||1-1⁄8||1:49.60|
|1925||Step Along||3||Earl Pool||William Perkins||Frederick M. Grabner||1-1⁄8||1:51.60|
|1924||Altawood||3||Lawrence McDermott||G. Hamilton Keene||C. Bruce Head||1-1⁄8||1:51.80|
|1923||Bo McMillan||3||Danny Connelly||Louis Cahn||Thomas J. Pendergast||1-1⁄8||1:56.80|
|1922||Busy American||3||Newton Barrett||Herbert J. Thompson||Idle Hour Stock Farm||1-1⁄8||1:55.80|
|1921||Black Servant||3||Newton Barrett||Herbert J. Thompson||Idle Hour Stock Farm||1-1⁄8||1:54.60|
|1920||Peace Pennant||3||Mack Garner||Joseph S. Hawkins||W. F. Polson||1-1⁄8||1:51.80|
|1919||Regalo||3||Frank Murphy||John C. Gallaher||Gallaher Bros.||1-1⁄8||1:51.60|
|1914||Bronzewing||3||John McCabe||Daniel Lehan||A. P. Humphrey, Jr.||1-1⁄8||1:51.80|
|1913||Foundation||3||Charles Peak||William McDaniel||Charles W. McKenna||1-1⁄8||1:51.40|
|1912||Sprite||3||Carroll H. Shilling||William H. Karrick||Harry K. Knapp||1-1⁄8||1:51.20|
|1911||Governor Gray||3||George Molesworth||James S. Everman||R. N. Smith & Co.||1-1⁄8||1.51.20|
- "Blue Grass Stakes Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Daily Racing Form March 19, 1919 article titled "Lexingtons Interesting New Race: Blue Grass Stakes to Serve as a Trial for the Kentucky Derby Candidates" Retrieved August 12, 2018
- Daily Racing Form, 1945-06-02, Lexington Association's Blue Grass Stakes history
- "Blue Grass Stakes History" (PDF). Keeneland Association. 2009-02-24. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2010-12-26. Retrieved 2009-10-24.