Gogrial State is one of the 28 states of South Sudan. It is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region and it borders Twic to the north, Aweil East to the northwest, Aweil to the west, Wau to the southwest, Tonj to the southeast, and Northern Liech to the northeast.
Location of Gogrial State within South Sudan
|Number of Counties||13|
|• Governor||Abraham Gum Makuach|
On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states. Gogrial State was created from part of the former Warrap State.
Abraham Gum Makuach was appointed Governor on 24 December 2015. Akec Tong Aleu, the previous governor, became governor of Tonj state after the division into 28 states, paving the way for the appointment of Makuach.
In February 2016, there were nine cabinet positions, including Governor and Deputy Governor. The state is required to have 21 legislators appointed to the state assembly.
Gogrial State is the home state of President Salva Kiir.
Governor Makuach divided the state into 13 counties which were created in February 2016:
- Awan Pajook
- Awan Chan
- Awan Riau
- Aguok West
- Aguok Centre
- Aguok North
- Aguok South
- Kuac South with headquarters in Yienh-Liet
- Kuac North with it Headquarters in Malual-Monyjoc
- Kuach East with Headquarters in Ajiep
- Kuac West with headquarters in Mayom-Ariech
- Apuk North
- Apuk East
- Apuk West
- Apuk South
- "Woman wins fattening competition in Kuajok". The Niles. 19 May 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "Gogrial governor rejects reversing creation of 13 counties - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan". www.sudantribune.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- "President Kiir declines meeting Gogrial state governor - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan". www.sudantribune.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- Atekdit, Ariik (10 February 2016). "Gogrial Governor Appoints Deputy, Restructures State government". www.gurtong.net. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "Gogrial state youth petition removal of governor over several charges - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan". www.sudantribune.com. 15 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- Manut, Ayul Santino (28 February 2016). "Gogrial Governor Establishes 13 New Counties". Gurtong. Retrieved 12 August 2016.