Twic State is one of the states of South Sudan. It is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region and it borders Aweil East to the west, the disputed Abyei region to the north, Gogrial to the south, Northern Liech to the east, and Ruweng to the northeast. The population of Twic State was recorded at 204,905 in 2008, and was estimated at a population of 543,410 in 2014. The capital of the state is Mayen-Abun, with an estimated population of around 2,000 people in city limits. Bona Panek is the current governor of the state, being appointed on 24 December 2015.
Twic Bol Nyuol
Location of Twic in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||6|
|• Governor||Atem Madut Yaak|
On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
Twic state is made up of six counties created in February 2016. These counties were created by the governor of the state. These counties are Akoc County, Pannyok County, Wunrok County, Ajak County, Turalei County and Aweng County. Along with the creation of these counties, six county deputies have been appointed for each county.
Turalei is the state's capital. It is also the state's largest city, with over 2,000 residents. The issue of the capital became a major debate when Mayen Abun was decreed as the seat of state government from Turalei, the longtime capital of Twic County. However the state government promised to settle the issue amicably and consultative meetings have been undergoing on as the way forward to reach solution.
- "Warrap (State, South Sudan)". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Turalei citizens protest creation of state capital at Mayen Abun". Radio Tamazuj. 26 February 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Turalei Village". Building Minds in South Sudan. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2 February 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "Twic governor appoints deputy, creates six counties". Radio Tamazuj. 14 February 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Twic County Abolished As The Governor Creates 6 More Counties". Gurtong Trust. 11 February 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Turalei". Mapcarta. Retrieved 23 November 2016.