Global Running Day
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Global Running Day is a day that celebrates the sport of running. It is held annually on the first Wednesday of June. Participants of all ages and abilities pledge to take part in some type of running activity by submitting their names through the Global Running Day website. Global Running Day 2019 took place on June 5.
|Global Running Day|
|Date||First Wednesday in June|
|2019 date||June 5|
|2020 date||June 3|
|2021 date||June 2|
|2022 date||June 1|
|First time||June 1 2016|
Global Running Day was formerly known as National Running Day and began in the United States. The first event was in 2009.
The inaugural Global Running Day was held on June 1, 2016. More than 2.5 million people from 177 countries pledged to run more than 9.2 million miles. New York City Mayor, Bill de Blasio, declared June 1, 2016, to be Global Running Day in the City of New York. 2014 Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi led a group run from the Boston Run Base, and the Atlanta Track Club organized a “run around the clock” event, where at least one person from the Atlanta metro area would be running every hour of Global Running Day.
The Million Kid RunEdit
The Million Kid Run is the youth division of Global Running Day and aims to have one million kids around the world participate in Global Running Day. Its focus is on making fitness fun, and inspiring kids to embrace running as a way to remain healthy and fit. In 2016, 672,030 youths took part.
More than 100 organizations support Global Running Day and the Million Kid Run, including the Abbott World Marathon Majors, Atlanta Track Club, Boston Athletic Association, Competitor Group, Houston Marathon Foundation, International Association of Athletics Federations, Athletics for a Better World program, New York Road Runners, Running USA, USA Track & Field, 100meta - Grupo de corrida e caminhada and more.
- "Global Running Day". globalrunningday.org. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Global Running Day: As It Happened". NYRR. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "NYRR Media Relations on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "A Run in Boston With Meb Keflezighi | Competitor.com". Competitor.com. 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Atlanta Track Club to "Run around the Clock" for Global Running Day | Atlanta Track Club". www.atlantatrackclub.org. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "2016 Global Running Day Featuring First-Ever Million Kid Run Set for Wednesday, June 1". NYRR. Retrieved 2017-03-01.