Gilze en Rijen
Gilze en Rijen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌɣɪlzə ʔɛn ˈrɛiə(n)] (listen)) is a municipality in the southern Netherlands. The municipality contains four villages: Rijen, Gilze, Hulten and Molenschot. It is home to the Gilze-Rijen Air Base.
Gilze en Rijen
Square in Gilze
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jan Boelhouwer (PvdA)|
|• Total||65.66 km2 (25.35 sq mi)|
|• Land||65.49 km2 (25.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.17 km2 (0.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||401/km2 (1,040/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Rijen grew in the 19th century due to its leather factories.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Gilze en Rijen, June 2015
Railway Station: Gilze-Rijen
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year-round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Gilze en Rijen has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
On 24 July 2019, temperatures in Gilze en Rijen reached as high as 39.2°C, the highest temperature ever recorded in The Netherlands until it was surpassed by Eindhoven the same day. However, a day later, on 25 July, temperatures in Gilze en Rijen reached 40.7°C, making it the first place ever in The Netherlands where 40°C was measured and took away the record back from Eindhoven. Climate change was found to be the culprit of such hot temperatures in Netherlands.
- Janus Theeuwes (1886 in Gilze en Rijen – 1975) an archer, gold medallist in the 1920 Summer Olympics
- Marcellin Theeuwes (1936 in Gilze en Rijen – 2019) was a Dutch Carthusian monk
- Jacques Theeuwes (born 1944 in Rijen) a Dutch economist, accountant and academic
- Joep van den Ouweland (born 1984 in Gilze en Rijen) is a Dutch footballer with over 300 club caps
- Henriette van Lynden-Leijten (1950 in Gilze en Rijen – 2010) a Dutch Baroness and diplomat to Bulgaria and the Vatican
- Cees Doorakkers (born 1963 in Gilze) a former Grand Prix motorcycle road racer
- Jeroen Blijlevens (born 1971 in Gilze en Rijen) a retired road bicycle racer
- "College van B en W" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Gilze en Rijen. Archived from the original on 28 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5121JX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Climate Summary for Gilze en Rijen, Netherlands
- Hoogste temperatuur ooit in Nederland: 39,2 graden gemeten in Gilze-Rijen
- Eindhoven hitterecordhouder met 39,3 graden, Gilze-Rijen en Ell op 39,2
- Historisch heet: 40+ in vijf provincies, ook hitterecords in andere EU-landen