Giant Squid is an American independent video game development company located in Santa Monica, California. Founded by several ex-thatgamecompany staff in March 2013, the studio is most known for developing Abzû (2016) and The Pathless (2020).
|Founded||March 2, 2013|
Number of employees
Giant Squid was founded in 2013 by Matt Nava, who previously worked at thatgamecompany as the art director for Flower (2009) and Journey (2012). Nava was joined by lead designer Nicholas Clark, and the composer for Journey, Austin Wintory. TV and film production company The Ink Factory also helped co-found the company, and was involved in providing funding for the studio's projects. The studio is located in Santa Monica, California.
At E3 2014, the company announced sea exploration game Abzû as their debut title. Development lasted three years, and the team partnered with publisher 505 Games to release the game in August 2016. The game received generally positive reviews upon release, with critics praising the game's visual style and music. The studio's next project was The Pathless, which was released by publisher Annapurna Interactive in November 2020.
|2016||Abzû||Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch||505 Games|
|2020||The Pathless||Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Apple Arcade (macOS, iOS and tvOS)||Annapurna Interactive|
- Hilliard, Kyle (March 2, 2013). "Former Journey And Flower Art Director Opens Own Studio". Game Informer. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Farokhmanesh, Megan (March 3, 2013). "Journey art director reveals new game studio, Giant Squid". Polygon. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Hillier, Brenna (April 11, 2013). "Giant Squid partially owned by film production company". VG 247. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Weber, Rachel (June 4, 2013). "Matt Nava: From Journey to Giant Squid". Gameindustry.biz. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Petit, Carolyn (June 17, 2014). "E3 2014: Debut Game from Journey Art Director's Studio Announced, Called Abzu". GameSpot. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Porter, Matt (June 14, 2016). "E3 2016: Abzu Release Date Announced". IGN. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Wales, Matt (December 7, 2018). "Abzû studio Giant Squid unveils beautiful forest adventure The Pathless". Eurogamer. Retrieved September 21, 2020.