Genesis Motor is the luxury vehicle division of the South Korean vehicle manufacturer Hyundai Motor Group. Initially envisioned along with the plan for Hyundai's new luxury sedan, the Hyundai Genesis, in 2004, the Genesis brand was officially announced as a independent marque on 4 November 2015, launching their first Genesis standalone model, the Genesis G90, in 2017. Genesis models are designed in Rüsselsheim (Germany), Namyang (South Korea), and Irvine (United States); and produced in Ulsan (South Korea).
|Predecessor||Hyundai Equus (G90)|
Hyundai Genesis (G80)
|Founded||4 November 2015|
(Global head and executive vice president)
Mark del Rosso
(CEO, Genesis North America)
(COO, Genesis North America)
|Services||Automotive financial services|
|Parent||Hyundai Motor Group|
Yong-Woo Lee is global head and executive vice president. Luc Donckerwolke, former design director of Volkswagen subsidiaries Bentley, Lamborghini and Audi, is head of design operations. Mark del Rosso, former president of Audi of America, is CEO of Genesis North America. Filippo Perini, former Lamborghini head of design, is chief designer. Peter Schreyer, formerly at Volkswagen and principal designer of the VW Golf, New Beetle, and the Audi TT, is a president and heads design management. Albert Biermann, former head of the BMW M performance division, oversees tuning and performance as executive vice president of performance development and high performance vehicles. Sang-yup Lee, former designer of the C-6 Chevrolet Corvette and Bentley Continental GT, and Alexander (Sasha) Selipanov, former designer of the Bugatti Chiron, lead exterior and advanced design. Fayez Rahman, former development leader at BMW, is vice-president of architecture development. Bozhena Lalova, on a secondment from Mercedes-Benz, heads colour and trim.
Hyundai conceived "Concept Genesis" in 2003 and introduced its first ever model in 2007 as a "progressive interpretation of the modern rear-wheel drive sports sedan". The body design took three years and the total cost of the program was $500 million over a development period of 23 months. Reliability testing ran for 800,000 miles. Hyundai introduced the Genesis in 2008 at the North American International Auto Show.
- Genesis' extant seven years in the luxury car market was successful
- Genesis ranked among the top three segment sellers
- Customers demanded a separate Genesis division
Genesis Motor announced the launch of its first model, the G90 (EQ900 in South Korea), on 9 December 2015. The G90 serves as the brand's flagship model. Genesis launched in the U.S. in late 2016, with the sale of the G80 and G90 models. The initial dealers are a subset of existing Hyundai dealers, with designated space for Genesis within the dealerships' showrooms. On September 14, 2016 a third model, the Genesis G70, was unveiled in Namyang, South Korea. The car was introduced to the United States market during the 2018 New York Auto Show on March 28, 2018. In June 2018, according to the reports, Genesis Motor ranked first on J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study.
|Car||Launch Year||Facelift||Predecessor Model|
By 2022, a sports coupe and two crossovers are expected, bringing the number of Genesis models to six. Genesis follows an alphanumeric naming convention; car models are named by combining the letter G and a number (70, 80, 90, and so on) while crossovers are named by combining the letters GV and a number. Genesis is initially being marketed in South Korea, China, the Middle East, Russia, Canada, Australia and the United States, followed by Europe and the rest of Asia.
Between November 2015 and October 2018, Genesis sold 206,882 vehicles; of the total, 127,283 were G80 models, 52,417 were G90 units, and 27,182 were G70s. In 2016, Genesis sold 66,029 models in South Korea.
|Genesis Motor (since 2015)|
Genesis is the official sponsor of the NFL, the Genesis Open at the Riviera Country Club, and the Condé Nast International Conference. Architect Rem Koolhaas designed the world's first ever Genesis showroom in Seoul's Gangnam district. Genesis Connected Services, a cloud-based service, features remote vehicle functions such as remote start with climate control and remote lock/unlock is available on iOS, Android and an Alexa Skill developed with Amazon. The Genesis Intelligent Assistant was developed for Android and iOS, providing similar service to Genesis Connected Services.
- Kim, Sohee (4 November 2015). "Hyundai launches Genesis premium car brand in bid to end profit skid". Reuters. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Hyundai spins off Genesis luxury brand, promises six new models by 2020 – CNET". CNET. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Banks, Nargess (29 January 2017). "The Story Behind Genesis, The New Global Luxury Car Brand". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- McEachern, Sam (20 February 2019). "Where is Hyundai From and Where are Hyundais Made?". autoguide.com. Auto Guide. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Greimel, Hans (October 29, 2019). "Hyundai taps William Lee as global Genesis chief". europe.autonews.com. Crain Communications. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
- Pinatel, Cédric (22 July 2011). "Design : Luc Donckerwolke, nouveau patron du style avancé chez le groupe Volkswagen". Turbo.fr (in French). Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- Gallina, Eric (29 October 2018). "Luc Donckerwolke replaces Peter Schreyer as head of Hyundai-Kia design". Form Trends. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- Bond, Jr, Vince (May 2, 2019). "Audi U.S. chief Del Rosso resigns". autonews.com. Crain Communications. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
- Gardner, Omari (October 14, 2019). "Mark Del Rosso comes to Genesis with luxury cred". autonews.com. Crain Communications. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
- "Genesis appoints Filippo Perini as chief designer, Genesis Advanced Design Studio in Europe". media.genesis.com. Genesis Motors North America. September 9, 2019. Retrieved October 20, 2019.
- Loh, Edward. "How Genesis' Dream Team Could Reinvent the Luxury Car - The Lohdown". Motortrend. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Trop, Jaclyn (17 September 2017). "New G70 Compact Sedan Helps Hyundai Define Korean Luxury For Its Genesis Brand". Forbes. US. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Nelson, Gabe. "Genesis brand born with luxury heritage". Automotive News. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Ahrens, Ronald (27 October 2017). "Luc Donckerwolke and the International Team Behind the Design of the Genesis G70". automobilemag.com. Motor Trend Group. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Hyundai to Unveil Concept Genesis Premium Sports Sedan" (Press release). PR Newswire. 26 March 2007. Retrieved 12 September 2008.
- Jonathon Ramsey (17 June 2008). "Let there be technology: What's under Hyundai's new Genesis sedan". Autoblog.com.
- "Hyundai Unveils Genesis Premium Sports Sedan". Hyundai. 13 January 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Hyundai Accelerates Genesis into Its Own Luxury Brand". Yahoo!. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Genesis Brand Launches its First Model, G90" (Press release). Hyundai Motor Group. 9 December 2015. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Genesis G70 resets expectations of customer-focused performance and luxury" (Press release). US: Genesis. 14 September 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Genesis premieres the 2019 G70 at the New York International Auto Show" (Press release). US: Genesis. 28 March 2018. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Roberts, Adrienne (20 June 2018). "Korean Auto Makers Are Listening to What American Drivers Want". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 22 October 2018.
- "Hyundai Motor Launches New Global Luxury Brand, 'Genesis'" (Press release). Hyundai Motor Group. 4 November 2015. Archived from the original on 19 January 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Runk, David. "Flagship Hyundai Genesis G90 luxury sedan debuts in Detroit". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Hyundai's Genesis models surpass 200,000 units in global sales". koreaherald.com. Korea Herald. 4 November 2018. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Greimel, Hans (8 April 2017). "Genesis sets sights on China". Automotive News.
- "The Official Luxury Car Of The NFL Invites Football Fans To The "Super Bowl Experience Driven By Genesis"". prnewswire.com. PR News Wire. 31 January 2018. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "GENESIS SPONSORS THE 2018 CONDÉ NAST INTERNATIONAL LUXURY CONFERENCE". Genesis.com. Genesis. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Berk, Brett (8 February 2018). "Rem Koolhaas's OMA Designs a Sleek Showroom for Hyundai's Genesis". architecturaldigest.com. Architectural Digest. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Genesis Teams Up With Amazon to Bring Connected Cars To Connected Homes
- Genesis Launches New Innovative Luxury Amenities to Save Time and Add Convenience