Gaekwad (also spelled as Gaikwar and Gaikwad) (Marathi: गायकवाड Gāyǎkǎvāḍǎ) is a surname native to Indian state of Maharashtra.The surname is predominantly found amongst the Maratha caste in Maharashtra. It is also found in dalit communities of Maharashtra. Thanks to Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj of Kolhapur who encouraged Dalits to take up Maratha surnames.
The Gaikwads of Baroda who were the ruling family of Baroda (Now Vadodara), were Marathas.
The name Gaekwad is believed to be a combination of two words (Gai and Kavad). Gai means a cow and Kavad which means a small door therefore Gaekwad means Cow door.
Notable people with the surname include:
- Gaekwad's of Baroda - Maharaja Sayajirao Gaikwad was the most notable amongst all.
- Sakwarbai Gaikwad - Queen of Chatrapati shivaji maharaj Gaekwad Kelkar, an Indian television actress and model.
- Anshuman Gaekwad, a former Indian cricketer and two-time Indian national cricket coach.
- Shivaji Rao Gaekwad known by his mononymous stage name Rajinikanth, is an Indian film actor and politician who works primarily in Tamil cinema.
- Ravindra Gaikwad, a member of the 16th Lok Sabha of India.He represents the Osmanabad constituency of Maharashtra.
- Hiralal Gaekwad, an Indian cricketer who played in one Test in 1952.