Ruturaj Dashrat Gaikwad (born 31 January 1997) is an Indian cricketer who plays for Maharashtra in domestic cricket and for the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He made his international debut for the India cricket team in July 2021. He was the leading run-scorer in the 2021 Indian Premier League tournament.
|Full name||Ruturaj Dashrat Gaikwad|
|Born||31 January 1997|
Pune, Maharashtra, India
|Role||Top order batsman|
|T20I debut (cap 88)||28 July 2021 v Sri Lanka|
|Last T20I||29 July 2021 v Sri Lanka|
|Domestic team information|
|2020–present||Chennai Super Kings|
Source: Cricinfo, 25 October 2021
Ruturaj Gaikwad is from Pune, Maharashtra. His father is Dashrath Gaikwad, who was a defence research development officer. His mother Sawita Gaikwad is a teacher in a municipality school. According to Gaikwad his parents never insisted him to study more and play less Cricket. Gaikwad's native village is 'Pargaon Mehmane' village in Saswad area of Pune district, Maharastra.
He did his first-class debut for Maharashtra in the 2016–17 Ranji Trophy on 6 October 2016. He made his Twenty20 debut for Maharashtra in the 2016–17 Inter State Twenty-20 Tournament on 2 February 2017. In 2019 Ranji trophy season, he scored 108 (199) in first inning and 76 (170) in Pune in second inning, while opening for Maharashtra Cricket team versus Chhattisgarh. He became man of the match in this match. He made his List A debut for Maharashtra in the 2016–17 Vijay Hazare Trophy on 25 February 2017.
In Indian domestic cricket structure he played for India A, India B, India Blue, Maharashtra, IPL team Chennai Super Kings and India Under 23. In October 2018, Gaikwad was named in India B's squad for the 2018–19 Deodhar Trophy. In December 2018, he was named in India's team for the 2018 ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup. In June 2019, he scored 187 not out for India A against Sri Lanka A. In August 2019, he was named in the India Blue team's squad for the 2019–20 Duleep Trophy. In October 2019, he was named in India B's squad for the 2019–20 Deodhar Trophy.
Indian Premier League
On 2 October 2021, Gaikwad scored his first IPL century, with 101 not out against the Rajasthan Royals in the 2021 tournament. On 15 October, Chennai Super Kings beat Kolkata Knight Riders by 27 runs in the finals with Gaikwad contributing to CSK's total by scoring 32 runs off 27 balls. He won the Orange Cap for scoring the most runs (635) in the 2021 tournament and was also awarded the Emerging Player of the Year award.
In June 2021, Gaikwad was named in India's One Day International (ODI) and Twenty20 International (T20I) squads for their series against Sri Lanka. He made his T20I debut on 28 July 2021, for India against Sri Lanka.
- "Ruturaj Gaikwad". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "IPL 2020 - Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad in power-packed band of uncapped Indian batsmen". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "IPL 2021 Orange Cap List: Ruturaj Gaikwad Edges Faf Du Plessis As Chennai Super Kings Openers Put On A Show In IPL Final Against Kolkata Knight Riders | Cricket News". NDTVSports.com. Retrieved 16 October 2021.
- "Too anxious to watch their son play, Ruturaj Gaikwad's parents miss greater part of his innings". 20 September 2021.
- "Sweat and tears: The making of orange cap holder Ruturaj Gaikwad". 16 October 2021.
- "Ranji Trophy, Group B: Jharkhand v Maharashtra at Delhi, Oct 6-9, 2016". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Inter State Twenty-20 Tournament, West Zone: Maharashtra v Mumbai at Vadodara, Feb 2, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Full Scorecard of Maharashtra vs Chhattisgarh Elite, Group C 2019/20 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 October 2021.
- "Vijay Hazare Trophy, Group B: Himachal Pradesh v Maharashtra at Cuttack, Feb 25, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Ruturaj gaikwad Profile: India Cricket Team Player, Latest News, ICC Ranking, Age, Full Career Info, Stats, Photos & Videos Online – FirstCricket, Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 16 October 2021.
- "Rahane, Ashwin and Karthik to play Deodhar Trophy". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "India Under-23s Squad". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Gaikwad smashes 187* to lead India A to victory". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Shubman Gill, Priyank Panchal and Faiz Fazal to lead Duleep Trophy sides". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "Duleep Trophy 2019: Shubman Gill, Faiz Fazal and Priyank Panchal to lead as Indian domestic cricket season opens". Cricket Country. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "Deodhar Trophy 2019: Hanuma Vihari, Parthiv, Shubman to lead; Yashasvi earns call-up". SportStar. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "IPL 2019 auction: The list of sold and unsold players". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "IPL 2019 Auction: Who got whom". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "CSK's Ruturaj Gaikwad smashes 'sparkling' maiden IPL century, becomes new Orange Cap holder". DNA India. 2 October 2021. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
- "IPL 2021 Awards: Ruturaj Gaikwad wins Orange Cap, Rahul awarded for most sixes - Here's the full list of winners". Hindustan Times. 16 October 2021. Retrieved 16 October 2021.
- "Shikhar Dhawan to captain India on limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 June 2021.
- "2nd T20I (N), Colombo (RPS), Jul 28 2021, India tour of Sri Lanka". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 July 2021.