Frederick, Prince of Hohenzollern
Frederick, Prince of Hohenzollern (German: Friedrich Viktor Pius Alexander Leopold Karl Theodor Ferdinand Fürst von Hohenzollern) (30 August 1891 in Heiligendamm, Mecklenburg-Schwerin – 6 February 1965 in Krauchenwies, Baden-Württemberg, Germany) was the eldest son of William, Prince of Hohenzollern and Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. He had a twin brother, Franz Joseph, Prince of Hohenzollern-Emden, who was born a few minutes after he was.
|Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern|
|Born||30 August 1891|
Heiligendamm, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany
|Died||6 February 1965 (aged 73)|
Krauchenwies, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
|Spouse||Princess Margarete Karola of Saxony|
|Issue||Princess Maria Antonia|
Princess Maria Adelgunde
Princess Maria Theresia
Friedrich Wilhelm, Prince of Hohenzollern
Prince Franz Josef
Prince Johann Georg
|Father||William, Prince of Hohenzollern|
|Mother||Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
Marriage and childrenEdit
He married Princess Margarete Karola of Saxony, daughter of Frederick Augustus III of Saxony and Archduchess Luise, Princess of Tuscany, on 2 June 1920 in Schloss Sibyllenort, Silesia, Germany. Margarete's sister Princess Maria Alix of Saxony subsequently married his twin brother, Francis Joseph.
- Princess Benedikta Maria Antonia Mathilde Anna of Hohenzollern (born 19 February 1921 in Sigmaringen; died 11 October 2011 at Sigmaringen), married Heinrich Maria, Count von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee (born 16 September 1911 in Wolfegg; died 25 May 1972 in Stuttgart) on 4 January 1942, and had ten children: seven daughters and three sons.
- Princess Maria Adelgunde Alice Luise Josephine of Hohenzollern (born 19 February 1921 in Sigmaringen; died 23 May 2006 in Frauenfeld), married Prince Konstantin of Bavaria, in 1942, divorced
- Princess Maria Theresia Ludovika Cecilie Zita Elisabeth Hilda Agnes of Hohenzollern (born 11 October 1922 at Schloss Sigmaringen; died 13 December 2004)
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Ferdinand Joseph Maria Manuel Georg Meinrad Fidelis Benedikt Michael Hubert of Hohenzollern (born 3 February 1924 at Schloss Umkirch - died 16 September 2010)
- Prince Franz Josef Hubertus Maria Meinrad Michael of Hohenzollern (born 15 March 1926 at Schloss Umkirch; died 13 March 1996 in Sigmaringen; married Princess Diana of Bourbon-Parma, daughter of Prince Gaetano, youngest child of Robert I, Duke of Parma)
- Prince Johann Georg Carl Leopold Eitel-Friedrich Meinrad Maria Hubertus Michael of Hohenzollern (born 31 July 1932 at Schloss Sigmaringen; died 2 March 2016 in Munich)
- Prince Ferfried Maximilian Pius Meinrad Maria Hubert Michael Justinus of Hohenzollern (born 14 April 1943 at Schloss Umkirch)
In 1948, soon after the deposition of king Michael of Romania the line of succession was discussed during a meeting between Michael, his uncle Prince Nicholas of Romania, and Prince Frederick. Shortly after this meeting, the spokesman of King Carol II, in an interview with the French paper Le Figaro, expressed his strong support for Prince Frederick, additionally asserting that Michael would never regain the throne.
Titles, styles, honours and armsEdit
Titles and stylesEdit
- 30 August 1891 – 8 June 1905: His Serene Highness Prince Friedrich of Hohenzollern
- 8 June 1905 – 22 October 1927: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern
- 22 October 1927 – 6 February 1965: His Royal Highness The Prince of Hohenzollern
- Darryl Lundy (10 May 2003). "Friedrich Viktor Prinz von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 28 December 2008.
- Paul Theroff. "HOHENZOLLERN". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Archived from the original on 28 April 2009. Retrieved 28 December 2008.
- Michael of Romania: The King and the Country by Ivor Porter, page 195, ISBN 0-7509-3847-1