Frank J. Urioste
Frank Joseph Urioste (born April 28, 1938) is an American film editor with about 30 film credits. He has been nominated three times for the Academy Award for Best Film Editing, for RoboCop (1987), Die Hard (1988), and Basic Instinct (1992).
Urioste was born to Frank T. Urioste and Angelina "Angie" Saracino (1909-2006). He also has a sister, Carol. His father worked as an airplane bomb sight manufacturer during World War II, and shortly afterwards started at MGM, where he was a music editor for over 30 years.
The first film that Urioste edited was What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (1969). He continued to edit films during the 1970s, such as Midway (1976), Damnation Alley (1977) and The Boys in Company C (1978). Urioste has also worked in television; in 1979, he edited the television film, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. In 1974, he edited the film The Spikes Gang. In 1979, he edited Fast Break.
In 1983, he edited Amityville 3-D. That same year, Urioste edited Trenchcoat, starring Margot Kidder and Robert Hays. Other films that Urioste edited during the 1980s include Conan the Destroyer (1984), Die Hard (1988) and Road House (1989). He also edited The Hitcher (1986), starring Rutger Hauer. Urioste was nominated for an Academy Award for his editing in Die Hard.
In 1993, Urioste edited Cliffhanger. That same year, he edited the film, Tombstone. In 1995, he co-edited Cutthroat Island. In 1996, he co-edited the film, Executive Decision, starring Kurt Russell.
In addition to film editing, Urioste has been the senior vice president of feature development at Warner Bros. since 1998. Urioste also served on the board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences from 1994 to 1997 and is on the advisory board of the film editors branch of the Academy.
He is married to Gemma Urioste.
The director and release year for each film are indicated in parenthesis.
- What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (Katzin-1969)
- The Grissom Gang (Aldrich-1971)
- Get to Know Your Rabbit (De Palma-1972)
- The Hoax (Anderson-1972)
- The Spikes Gang (Fleischer-1974)
- Midway (Smight-1976)
- Damnation Alley (Smight-1977)
- The Boys in Company C (Furie-1978)
- Fast Break (Smight-1979)
- Loving Couples (Smight-1980)
- The Entity (Furie-1981)
- Amityville 3-D (Fleischer-1983)
- Trenchcoat (Tuchner-1983)
- Conan the Destroyer (Fleischer-1984)
- Red Sonja (Fleischer-1985)
- The Hitcher (Harmon-1986)
- RoboCop (Verhoeven-1987)
- Die Hard (McTiernan-1988)
- Road House (Herrington-1989)
- Total Recall (Verhoeven-1990)
- Basic Instinct (Verhoeven-1992)
- Tombstone (Cosmatos-1993)
- Cliffhanger (Harlin-1993)
- Terminal Velocity (Sarafian-1994)
- Cutthroat Island (Harlin-1995)
- Executive Decision (Baird—1996)
- Conspiracy Theory (Donner-1997)
- Lethal Weapon 4 (Donner-1998)
- Deep Blue Sea (Harlin-1999)
- The Thing (Heijningen-2011) (add'l editor)
- McNary, Dave (22 January 2007). "Prizes to be handed out at ACE Eddie Awards". Variety. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Angelina Saracino "Angie" Urioste". Los Angeles Times. 14 March 2006. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Frank J Urioste". Hollywood.com.
- Gray, Beverly (2003). Ron Howard: From Mayberry to the Moon...and Beyond. Thomas Nelson, Inc. ISBN 9781418530747.
- Welsh, James M.; Erskine, Thomas; Edgington, K (2010). Encyclopedia of Sports Films. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 9780810876538.
- Derry, Charles (2009). Dark Dreams 2.0: A Psychological History of the Modern Horror Film from the 1950s to the 21st Century. McFarland. ISBN 9780786456956.
- Mavis, Paul (2011). "The Espionage Filmography: United States Releases, 1898 through 1999". McFarland. ISBN 9780786449156.
- Siskel, Gene (24 February 1986). "Thumbs Down On A Ride With `Hitcher`". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Campbell, Christopher (14 July 2013). "7 Scenes We Love From 'Die Hard'". Film School Rejects. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Tellote, J.P. (1995). Replications: A Robotic History of the Science Fiction Film. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 9780252064661.
- McGee, Marty (2001). Encyclopedia of Motion Picture Sound. McFarland. ISBN 9780786449163.
- Hirsch, Foster (1999). Detours and Lost Highways: A Map of Neo-noir. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9780879102883.
- Holmlund, Chris (2014). The Ultimate Stallone Reader: Sylvester Stallone as Star, Icon, Auteur. Columbia University Press. ISBN 9780231850643.
- Monush, Barry; Willis, John (2000). Screen World 1994. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9781557832023.
- Jullius, Marshall (1996). Action!: The Action Movie A-Z. Indiana University Press. ISBN 9780253210913.
- Monush, Barry; Willis, John (1997). Screen World 1996. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9781557832528.
- Turan, Kenneth (15 March 1996). "Making the Right 'Decision'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Brew, Simon (23 July 2015). "The Ridiculously Fast Turnaround Time of Lethal Weapon 4". Den of Geek. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- McLellan, David (6 March 2004). "Ralph E. Winters, 94; Film Editor Noted for 'Ben-Hur' Won 2 Oscars". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- 
- Frank J. Urioste on IMDb
- Honess, Peter; Urioste, Frank (July–August 2001). "Peter Honess & Frank Urioste: Two Long-Time Friends Talk About Their Work, Part I". Editors Guild Magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-07-13.
- Honess, Peter; Urioste, Frank (September–October 2001). "Peter Honess & Frank Urioste: Two Long-Time Friends Talk About Their Work, Part II". Editors Guild Magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-07-13.