Francis Paul Veber (born 28 July 1937) is a French film director, screenwriter and producer, and playwright. He has written and directed both French and American films. Eight French-language films with which he has been involved, as either writer or director or both, have been remade as English-language Hollywood films: Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire (as The Man with One Red Shoe), L'emmerdeur (as Buddy Buddy), La Cage aux Folles (as The Birdcage), Le Jouet (as The Toy), Les Compères (as Fathers' Day), La chèvre (as Pure Luck), Les Fugitifs (as Three Fugitives), and Le dîner de cons (as Dinner for Schmucks). He also wrote the screenplay for My Father the Hero, the 1994 American remake of the French-language film Mon père, ce héros.
Veber in 2012
Francis Paul Veber
28 July 1937
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer; theater playwright|
|Awards||Academy Award nominee, La cage aux folles|
César Award winner, Le dîner de cons, and four-time nominee
Lumière Film Award winner, Le dîner de cons
Some of his screenplays started as theater plays (for instance, Le dîner de cons). This theatrical experience contributes to his films' tight structure, resulting in what has been called "marvels of economy".
Many of his French comedies feature recurring types of characters, named François Pignon (a bungler) and François Perrin (a bully).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2014)
Veber was born in Neuilly-sur-Seine, Hauts-de-Seine, the son of a writer mother and Pierre-Gilles Veber, a screenwriter. Veber's father was Jewish and his mother was Armenian-Russian (Veber was baptized at birth). His grand-uncle was writer Tristan Bernard.
His parents were both authors: his father writer and journalist Pierre-Gilles Véber and his mother novelist Catherine Agadjanian, who wrote under the name Georgette Paul (1901-1990). He is the great-nephew of playwright, novelist, journalist and lawyer Tristan Bernard, grandson of playwright Pierre Véber and nephew of screenwriter, director and hit songwriter Serge Veber. He is the uncle of Sophie Audouin-Mamikonian, young adult author of the Tara Duncan series. His son, Jean Véber, is also a screenwriter.
- 1976 : Le Jouet (The Toy), starring Pierre Richard, Michel Bouquet, Fabrice Greco
- 1981 : La Chèvre (Knock on Wood), starring Pierre Richard, Gérard Depardieu
- 1983 : Les Compères (ComDads), starring Pierre Richard, Gérard Depardieu
- 1986 : Les Fugitifs, starring Pierre Richard, Gérard Depardieu
- 1989 : Three Fugitives, starring Nick Nolte, Martin Short
- 1992 : Out on a Limb, starring Matthew Broderick, Jeffrey Jones
- 1996 : Le Jaguar, starring Jean Reno, Patrick Bruel
- 1998 : Le Dîner de Cons (The Dinner Game), starring Thierry Lhermitte, Jacques Villeret
- 2000 : Le placard (The Closet), starring Daniel Auteuil, Gérard Depardieu
- 2003 : Tais-toi !, starring Jean Reno, Gérard Depardieu
- 2006 : La Doublure (The Valet), starring Gad Elmaleh, Alice Taglioni, Daniel Auteuil, Dany Boon, Virginie Ledoyen, Kristin Scott Thomas
- 2008 : L'emmerdeur (A Pain in the Ass), starring Richard Berry, Patrick Timsit, Virginie Ledoyen
- 1969 : Appelez-moi Mathilde, directed by Pierre Mondy
- 1972 : Il était une fois un flic, directed by Georges Lautner
- 1972 : Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire, directed by Yves Robert
- 1973 : La Valise, directed by Georges Lautner
- 1973 : L'Emmerdeur, directed by Édouard Molinaro
- 1973 : Le magnifique, directed by Philippe de Broca
- 1974 : Peur sur la ville, directed by Henri Verneuil
- 1974 : Le retour du grand blond, directed by Yves Robert
- 1975 : Le Téléphone rose, directed by Édouard Molinaro
- 1975 : Adieu poulet, directed by Pierre Granier-Deferre
- 1976 : On aura tout vu, directed by Georges Lautner
- 1976 : Le Jouet
- 1978 : La Cage aux Folles, directed by Édouard Molinaro
- 1979 : Cause toujours... tu m'intéresses, directed by Édouard Molinaro
- 1979 : Coup de tête, directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud
- 1980 : La cage aux folles II, directed by Édouard Molinaro
- 1980 : Sunday Lovers / Les séducteurs, directed by Bryan Forbes, Gene Wilder, Dino Risi and Édouard Molinaro
- 1981 : Buddy Buddy, directed by Billy Wilder
- 1981 : La Chèvre
- 1982 : Partners, directed by James Burrows
- 1982 : The Toy, directed by Richard Donner
- 1983 : Les Compères
- 1985 : The Man with One Red Shoe, directed by Stan Dragoti
- 1985 : Hold-Up, directed by Alexandre Arcady
- 1986 : Les Fugitifs
- 1989 : Three Fugitives
- 1991 : Pure Luck, directed by Nadia Tass
- 1994 : My Father the Hero, directed by Steve Miner
- 1995 : Fantôme avec chauffeur, directed by Gérard Oury
- 1996 : The Birdcage, directed by Mike Nichols
- 1996 : Le Jaguar
- 1997 : Fathers' Day, directed by Ivan Reitman
- 1997 : Le Dîner de Cons
- 1998 : Dead Letter Office, directed by John Ruane
- 2000 : Le placard
- 2002 : Tais-toi !
- 2006 : La doublure
- 2008 : L'emmerdeur
- New York Times
- Terry Keefe (2008-01-19). "Francis Veber: The Hollywood Interview". The Hollywood Interview. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Insdorf, Annette (1985-07-28). "French Films, American Style". The New York Times.
"ORDRE DE LA LEGION D'HONNEUR Décret du 3 avril 1996 portant promotion et nomination". JORF. 1996 (84): 5438. 07-04-1996. PREX9610753D. Retrieved 2009-03-22. Check date values in:
- "Décret du 21 mars 2008 portant promotion et nomination". JORF. 2008 (71): 5024. 2008-03-23. PREX0804596D. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Décret du 14 mai 2001 portant promotion et nomination". JORF. 2001 (112): 7695. 2001-05-15. PREX0104833D. Retrieved 2009-03-22.