This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Born||1 March 1942|
|Education||Master of Arts, Philosophy, Psychology|
|Alma mater||St. Xaviers College, Kolkata|
|Occupation||Hindustani classical vocalist|
|Known for||Dhrupad, Dhamar|
|Style||Alaap, Dhrupad and Dhamar|
|Television||Raag Rang, National Doordarshan|
|Honours||Dhrupad Ratna, Ballava Gandharva, Sangeet Ratna|
Early life edit
Mitra was initiated into music by his father, Sangeetacharya Shib Mitra, at the age of five.
Education and work edit
Mitra completed his Intermediate from St. Xaviers College, Kolkata; Bachelor's Degree from Vivekananda College, University of Madras and then earned a master's degree in Philosophy from the University of Madras.
Mitra had a career in management with a multinational, Cookson Group PLC.[specify] Along with his professional career, he also pursued music and took it to an extent which was to be soon recognized as his own rendition of Dhrupad,[by whom?] in India and across the world.
Mitra has conducted lecture-demonstrations and written articles in journals in India and also abroad.
Music career edit
Mitra is a performer in the Indian music circuit. He is known for his mastery in the Dhrupad style of the Betia Banaras Gharana along with the Dagar alap style[by whom?].[by whom?] He sings alap, nomtom and Dhrupad compositions in all the four Banis, namely, Gaurhar, Dagur, Nauhar and Khandar. He avoids splitting the words during upaj[what language is this?] and thereby preserves the poetic integrity of those compositions. He is also known to sing many rare ragas in the Dhrupad style.
Some memorable performances edit
- ‘Tansen Sangeet Sammelan‘, Kolkata, 1956
- ‘Sangeet Rasika Sabha', New Delhi Kali Bari, 1957
- ‘Sadarang Sangeet Sammelan’, Kolkata, 1963
- ‘Sarba Bharatiya Sangeet Sammelan’, Kolkata, 1963, 1965
- ‘Bhawanipore Sangeet Sammilani’, Kolkata, 1963, 1966, 1969, 1972, 1978, 1981, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
- ‘Sursringar Sammelan‘, Mumbai, 1976
- ‘Sursagar Society Sangeet Sammelan’, Kolkata, 1975, 1977, 1979. 1980, 1982, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000
- ‘Akhil Bharatiya Dhrupad Sammelan’, Varanasi, 1976, 1977, 1979, 2000, 2005, 2010, 2011
- ‘Tansen Sangeet Samaroah‘, Raipur, 1978
- ‘Akhil Bharatiya Dhmpad Sammelan‘, Nathdwara, Rajasthan, 1981
- ‘Kalakshetra Art Festival’, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, 1984
- ‘Tansen Sangeet Sammelan‘, Chennai, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
- ‘Ustad Chand Khan Memorial Conference’, New Delhi 1995
- ‘West Bengal State Music Academy Conference, Kolkata, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010
- ‘Dover Lane Music Conference‘, Kolkata, 2000, 2002
- ‘Sangeet Research Academy Music Circle’, Kolkata, 2000
- ‘Salt Lake Music Conference‘, Kolkata, 2000
- ‘Bangiya Sangeet Parishad Music Conference’, Kolkata, 2002
- lTC Sangeet Research Academy Conference, Raipur, Kanpur, 2004
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Kolkata, 2007
- lTC Sangeet Research Academy Conference, Mumbai, 2008
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Conference, Bangalore, 2009
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Conference, Brindavan, 2010
- Prakriti Foundation Gharana Festival, Chennai, 2010
- Kala Prakash music festival, Varanasi, 2010
- Tansen Sangeet Samaroah, Gwalior, 2010
- Eastern Zone Cultural Center, Kolkata, 2011
Notable works edit
- Program in collaboration with Smt. S. Sowmya on original Hindustani and Carnatic songs followed by Rabindranath Tagore's compositions on the same, Music Academy, Chennai. 1996
- Pandit Mitra composed music for Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale, dance ballet Meera of Mewar at Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, 1985.
- Artist at Prakriti Foundation
- Honored by the South Madras Cultural Association on 3 March 1996.[specify]
- Banerjee, Meena (3 March 2016). "Into the world of banis". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu Group. Archived from the original on 8 January 2020. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
- Banerjee, Meena (29 March 2012). "Reviving tradition". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "Betia Gharana".
- Mitra, Falguni; Ranganathan, Sumitra. "Betia". ITC Sangeet Research Academy.
- "ITC Sangeet Research Academy".
- "Guru and Prefect". ITC Sangeet Research Academy.
- "Pratima Chandra Foundation".
- Krishnan, Lalithaa (6 October 2016). "The Hindu Review of Mira Dasi". The Hindu.
- "Pandit Falguni Mitra".