Etten-Leur (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality in the Dutch province Noord-Brabant. Its name is a combination of the two towns from which the municipality originally arose: Etten and Leur. Nowadays both towns have grown into one.
Street (Markt) in Etten-Leur
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Miranda de Vries (PvdA)|
|• Total||55.92 km2 (21.59 sq mi)|
|• Land||55.36 km2 (21.37 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.56 km2 (0.22 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8 m (26 ft)|
|• Density||784/km2 (2,030/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Both towns, created in the Middle Ages, were relatively prosperous during the period of the Dutch Republic, the exception being the period of the Eighty Years' War in which the area was a major battleground. This prosperity was caused by the fact that Etten was a centre for the production of peat, and Leur was a local trading port, as it had a harbour.
Decline in economic importance marked both towns during the nineteenth century. In 1836 Arnold Damen left Leur in order to work as a missionary in the United States. The painter Vincent van Gogh briefly lived in Etten, making him the most famous citizen in the history of Etten and Leur. During World War II, the two towns were freed from German occupation in late October 1944 by elements of the U.S. 104th Infantry Division.
The economic decline was halted when, in 1950, the Dutch government decided to encourage population growth and industrial development. As a result of this development, both towns have grown towards each other and merged into one: Etten-Leur.
- Katholieke Scholengemeenschap Etten-Leur, a Catholic high school
- Munnikenheide College
- Jan Jacob Rochussen (1797 in Etten – 1871) a Dutch politician; Finance Minister 1840/1843 and Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies 1845/1851
- Peter de Clercq (born 1959 in Etten-Leur) a Dutch diplomat, who currently works with the United Nations
- Stef Broks (born 1981 in Etten-Leur) a Dutch drummer, played with Textures
- "Het college van burgemeester en wethouders" [The board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Etten-Leur. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4875AA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Grensbataljon [Zuidfront Holland - Mei 1940]". www.zuidfront-holland1940.nl. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- deoranjeboom.nl (PDF) https://deoranjeboom.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Jb-33-1980-01.pdf. Retrieved 2019-01-14. Missing or empty
- "Location Etten-Leur, Van Gogh Church - Van Gogh Brabant". www.vangoghbrabant.nl. Retrieved 2019-01-14.