Engage!: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web is a bestselling book by speaker, digital analyst, and author Brian Solis. In Engage!, Solis diagnoses the new world of social media, mobile and how businesses and individuals can best market their products or services. Actor Ashton Kutcher wrote the foreword.
|Subject||Business, Social media, Marketing|
|Publisher||John Wiley & Sons|
|March 8, 2010|
|Preceded by||Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR|
|Followed by||The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution|
The first half of Engage! introduces social media entities such as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, with chapters labeled "The New Media University: Social Media" 101, 201, 202, etc., all the way until "MBA Program—Second Year." Solis uses this university metaphor to help anyone at any place in their career start where they need to and go back and study the basics as necessary.
The second half of Engage! explores how to start social media programs, how to sell the program once started, and how to measure return on investment (ROI). Solis also explores the murky separation of personal and professional interactions in social media. He argues that social media channels are being used to broadcast in a one-to-many format not unlike traditional format before it. He believes that the formula for social media is instead one-to-one-to many, which will yield many to many.
In all, Engage! is separated into six parts:
- Part I: The New Reality of Marketing and Customer Service
- Part II: Forever Students of New Media
- Part III: Brand Representative Versus The Brand of You
- Part IV: We Are the Champions
- Part V: The Social Architect: Developing a Blueprint for New Marketing
- Part VI: A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action: Rising Above the Noise
Apple Fellow Guy Kawasaki, Craigslist founder Craig Newmark, and author Andrew Keen blurbed the book. Newmark said, "Engage! gets you up to date regarding current trends and technology, and shows you how to build a serious social media strategy."
- Brooks, Rich (April 15, 2010). "Is SMO (Social Media Optimization) The New SEO?". Fast Company.
- Lazar, Shira. "Brian Solis on Five Common Social Media Mistakes and How to Avoid Them". Entrepreneur Magazine.
- Rowse, Darren (July 1, 2010). "4 Resources to Build Your Blogging Business". ProBlogger.
- Solis, Brian (April 23, 2010). "21 Twitter Tips From Socially Savvy Companies". Fast Company.
- Boog, Jason (July 7, 2010). "Social Media Tips from Brian Solis". MediaBistro. Archived from the original on 2014-05-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Steinberg, Scott. "Now You're In Business". American Way.
- Myers, Courtney Boyd (April 14, 2011). "An Interview with Brian Solis". TNW Social Media.
- Jalichandra, Richard (June 2, 2010). "Engage or Die: The Impact of Social Media in Business". Technorati. Archived from the original on 2014-05-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Thomas, Jesse (April 12, 2012). "Engagement Ain't Nothin' But A Number: Brian Solis on Connected Customers". Forbes.
- Weinberger, Joshua (August 2010). "Influential Leaders: The Engager". CRM.
- Basich, Teresa (April 2, 2010). "Recap: Engage With Brian Solis". MarketingCloud.
- Berto, Eric (April 5, 2010). "Let's get engaged". PRBreakfastClub.com.
- Garland, David. "Measurable Marketing & Digital Strategy — Featured Interview with Brian Solis". RiseToTheTop.com.
- Solis, Brian (2010). Engage!: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web. Wiley. pp. 400. ISBN 978-0470571095.
- "The top 10 business bestsellers". Business Standard. April 19, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "The Business Bestseller List". Inc.