Electoral district of Strathfield
Strathfield is an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales. It is represented by Jodi McKay, the Leader of the Opposition, the Labor Party. It was first created in 1988 and derives its name from the suburb of the same name.
New South Wales—Legislative Assembly
Location within Sydney
|State||New South Wales|
|Area||22.80 km2 (8.8 sq mi)|
Strathfield is an urban electorate, covering 19 km² and taking in the suburbs of Burwood Heights, Burwood, Croydon, Croydon Park, Enfield, Flemington, Homebush, Homebush West, North Strathfield, Strathfield, Strathfield South and parts of Ashbury, Ashfield, Belfield and Concord West.
Strathfield was created in 1988. While traditionally a marginal electorate, Strathfield tended to favour the Liberal Party in its earlier years. It was first won by Liberal Paul Zammit, who later went on to have a short-lived career as a Liberal member of the federal House of Representatives. Zammit later contested the federal seat as an independent on the issue of airports and air traffic over the area. Zammit was succeeded by Liberal Bruce MacCarthy, who was defeated after one term. His successor, Paul Whelan, was a prominent sitting minister in the Carr government who had shifted to Strathfield from the abolished seat of Ashfield, and subsequently served as Police Minister while the member for Strathfield. The seat has tended to lean towards Labor ever since, with Whelan being succeeded by Virginia Judge. Judge lost the seat in 2011 to Liberal candidate Charles Casuscelli, but he was in turn defeated by Labor's Jodi McKay in 2015.
Members for StrathfieldEdit
|Paul Zammit ||Liberal||1988–1996|
|Bruce MacCarthy ||Liberal||1996–1999|
|Paul Whelan ||Labor||1999–2003|
|Virginia Judge ||Labor||2003–2011|
|Charles Casuscelli ||Liberal||2011–2015|
|Jodi McKay ||Labor||2015–present|
|Keep Sydney Open||Vinayak Orekondy||1,443||3.12||+3.12|
|Animal Justice||Simon Fletcher||1,029||2.23||+2.23|
|Total formal votes||46,217||96.98||+0.15|
- "Strathfield". New South Wales Electoral Commission. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Mr Paul John Zammit (1941– )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "Mr Bruce Edward MacCarthy (1948- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "The Hon. Paul Francis Patrick Whelan (1943- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Ms Virginia Judge (1956- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Mr Charles Casuscelli RFD (1956- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "Ms Jodi Leyanne McKay, MP". Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Strathfield: First Preference Votes". 2019 NSW election results. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Strathfield: Distribution of Preferences". 2019 NSW election results. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2019.