Edinburgh Pentlands (Scottish Parliament constituency)
Edinburgh Pentlands is a constituency of the Scottish Parliament. It elects one Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) by the plurality (first past the post) method of election. It is one of nine constituencies in the Lothian electoral region, which elects seven additional members, in addition to nine constituency MSPs, to produce a form of proportional representation for the region as a whole.
for the Scottish Parliament
|Party||Scottish National Party|
|Council area||City of Edinburgh|
The other eight constituencies of the Lothian region are Almond Valley, Edinburgh Central, Edinburgh Eastern, Edinburgh Northern and Leith, Edinburgh Southern, Edinburgh Western, Linlithgow and Midlothian North and Musselburgh
Constituency boundaries and council areaEdit
Edinburgh is represented in the Scottish Parliament by five constituencies: Edinburgh Central, Edinburgh Eastern, Edinburgh Northern and Leith, Edinburgh Pentlands, Edinburgh Southern and Edinburgh Western.
The Edinburgh Pentlands constituency was created at the same time as the Scottish Parliament, in 1999, with the name and boundaries of an existing Westminster constituency. In 2005, however, Scottish Westminster (House of Commons) constituencies were mostly replaced with new constituencies.
The newly formed Edinburgh Pentlands uses the following electoral wards:
Members of the Scottish ParliamentEdit
|Liberal Democrats||Fraser Graham||2,213||5.8||0.9|
|Scottish Family||Richard Lucas||462||1.2||1.2|
|Abolish the Scottish Parliament|
|All for Unity|
|Liberal Democrats||Emma Farthing-Sykes||1,636||4.9||+0.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Clark||1,420||4.6||N/A|
|SNP win (new boundaries)|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Clark||4,814||14.0||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Clark||3,943||11.8||−0.9|
|Scottish Socialist||Frank O'Donnell||1,090||3.3||New|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+6.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Ian Gibson||5,029||12.7||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Scottish Parliamentary Constituency (SPC) Population Estimates (2011 Data Zone based), National Records of Scotland; retrieved 6 May 2021 (accompanying summary notes)
- See The 5th Periodical Report of the Boundary Commission for Scotland Archived September 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Candidates Announced for Scottish Parliament Elections". City of Edinburgh Council. 31 March 2021. Retrieved 31 March 2021.
- Constituencies A-Z | Edinburgh Pentlands, BBC News; retrieved 8 May 2021
- Sub-constituency election results for the 2007 Scottish Parliament elections - data Archived 6 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine- Scotland Office; 30 April 2008; retrieved 5 April 2011