Gordon John Lindhurst is a former Scottish Conservative politician and practising advocate. He served as a Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the Lothian region from 2016 to 2021. Lindhurst has also been called as a barrister in England and Wales.
|Member of the Scottish Parliament|
(1 of 7 Regional MSPs)
5 May 2016 – 8 May 2021
|Political party||Scottish Conservatives|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
University of Glasgow
Background and legal careerEdit
Lindhurst studied at the University of Edinburgh where he completed his first degree, an LLB (Honours). At Glasgow University he studied the vocational Diploma in Legal Practice before completing his legal training to become a solicitor with the Edinburgh law firm, Warden Bruce & Co. WS. Following qualification, Lindhurst studied for and was awarded a master's degree in European law at Heidelberg University in Germany, and is fluent in German. Thereafter calling to the Scottish Bar, he practised full time as an advocate until entering the Scottish Parliament. Lindhurst was also called as a barrister in England and Wales in 2008.
Lindhurst returned to practice in 2021.
Lindhurst was the Conservative candidate for Linlithgow in the 1999 and 2003 Scottish Parliament elections. He also stood in the 2001 general election in Linlithgow. In the 2015 United Kingdom general election he stood as a candidate in Edinburgh South West.
Election to the Scottish ParliamentEdit
In the 2016 Scottish Parliament election he stood for the Edinburgh Pentlands constituency, finishing in second place, but successfully increasing the Scottish Conservative vote share. Having missed out in the constituency section, he was instead elected for the Lothian regional list.
As an MSP, he served as Convener of the Economy, Jobs and Fair Work Committee, whose work included one of the few Committee Bills of the session, the Pre-Release Access to Official Statistics (Scotland) Act 2021. He also served as a member of the Social Security Committee, the Culture, Tourism, Europe and External Affairs Committee, and the Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee during his time as an MSP.
- "Gordon Lindhorst". Westwater Advocates. Westwater Advocates. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- "Gordon J.S. Lindhorst". Advocates. Faculty of Advocates. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- "A warm welcome to Gordon Lindhorst". Westwater Advocates. Westwater Advocates. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- "Election 2015: Edinburgh South West. Parliamentary constituency". 8 May 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Edinburgh Pentlands". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Election 2016: Lothian. Scottish Parliament region". BBC News. BBC. 6 May 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Gordon Lindhurst MSP". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- Scottish Parliament profiles of MSPs: Gordon Lindhurst