This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University, also known as Telangana Open University, formerly Andhra Pradesh Open University, is a public university in the city of Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
|Andhra Pradesh Open University|
|Motto||Education at Your Doorstep|
|Chancellor||Governor of Telangana|
|Vice-Chancellor||Sita Rama Rao|
17°25′54″N 78°23′39″E / 17.431584°N 78.3940344°E
The university was established in 1982 as Andhra Pradesh Open University through the Andhra Pradesh Open University Act, 1982. It was inaugurated by the President of India. The founder and first vice chancellor (VC) was G. Ram Reddy. The university was renamed Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University in 1991 through the Andhra Pradesh Open University (Amendment) Act, 1991, named after the architect of the Indian Constitution Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar on the occasion of the centenary of his birth.
V. S. Prasad was appointed VC in 2001. P. Prakash was appointed in 2011. C. Parthasarathi was appointed VC in-charge in July 2019. Sita Rama Rao was appointed VC in 2021.
Located on an elevated site of 53.63 acres (217,000 m2) in Jubilee Hills, the campus has the Administrative and Support Services Block, the Grade building, Academic Branch and Library building, Study Material House, an extensive Open Plaza, a Conference Hall, and an Auditorium named after Late Sri Bhavanam Venkatram, former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh who was instrumental in establishing this university. There are laboratories in the Science Faculty for providing hands on training to Science Students of Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Botany, and Zoology. The Science Practicals hereafter will be conducted at the Newly constructed Science and Technology Multi Functional Lab (STML) building at the Campus all under one roof. The Narla Memorial Library is also housed in the Academic Building. A Multimedia Lab, Two Synergy Halls, a well-furnished Faculty Room and a Language Lab have also been set up in the Academic Building. All the buildings on the campus are linked by the LAN facility.
- ^ "Andhra Pradesh Open University Act, 1982" (PDF). Retrieved 17 October 2022.
- ^ "Andhra Pradesh Open University (Amendment) Act, 1991". Latest Laws. 26 October 1991. Retrieved 17 October 2022.
- ^ "New VC for BRAOU". The Times of India. 24 October 2001. Retrieved 17 October 2022.
- ^ "VCs selected for three varsities". The Times of India. 16 July 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2022.
- ^ "Telangana appoints IAS officers as in-charge Vice-Chancellors for eight varsities". Telangana Today. 24 July 2019. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- ^ "Telangana government appoints Vice-Chancellors to 10 universities". Telangana Today. 22 May 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2022.