Alton Dorian Clark (born August 2, 1984), known mononymously as Dorian, is an American hip-hop recording artist, producer, songwriter and basketball coach from Indianapolis, Indiana. AllMusic editor Paul Simpson says, "his production style and storytelling skills have more in common with 80s and 90s hip-hop (with Warren G and Dr. Dre as a primary influence)…but his sound encompasses more contemporary influences such as trap and Kanye West”.
Dorian in 2016
Alton Dorian Clark
August 2, 1984
Abilene, Texas, United States
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Other names||Dorian, Duck|
|Alma mater||Indiana University - Bloomington (B.A.)|
University of Central Florida (M.A.)
|Home town||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Parent(s)||Alton Kevin Clark, Deborah Lynne Clark|
Alton Dorian Clark was born on August 2, 1984 on Dyess Air Force base in Abilene, Texas. His mother named him after actor Dorian Harewood who was from his parent's native town Dayton, Ohio. His father was an airman in the United States Air Force which caused Dorian to move 7 times before he was 10 years old. Dorian's parents grew up during the 1970s funk era and frequently played artists such as The Ohio Players, Lakeside and Bootsy Collins which would later influence Dorian musically. Dorian learned how to read music when he was 9 while playing the trumpet in the elementary school band. In 6th grade, Dorian's family moved to Indianapolis, Indiana where he played the drums in middle school and sang in his Baptist church choir from 8th grade until graduation from North Central High School.
After graduating from Indiana University-Bloomington, Dorian made 800 cold phone calls and sent 1300 cold emails in hopes of landing a basketball coaching job. Dorian would get hired at Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, North Carolina. In 2009, Dorian enrolled in graduate school at the University of Central Florida and coached high school basketball at Montverde Academy under Kevin Sutton. In the offseason, he trained University of Florida basketball player Patric Young. Dorian would also coach at Virginia Commonwealth University under Shaka Smart and Jacksonville University under Cliff Warren. In 2012, Dorian wrote for ESPN's TrueHoop Network covering the Orlando Magic.
On Valentine's Day 2014, Dorian bought Apple's music production software Logic Pro X. He taught himself how to make beats from YouTube tutorials. In 2015, Dorian signed a digital distribution deal. On Valentine's Day 2015, Dorian released his first project, The D.U.C.K. Tape. Dorian then moved back to Indianapolis and began to work on his second project with music producer Joey French. Dorian and Joey French met while attending Indiana University. In May 2015, Dorian released “Sunshine” as the lead single to his second album. On October 28, 2015, Dorian released his second full-length LP Every Scar Has A Story to critical acclaim. Every Scar Has A Story was co-executive produced by Joey French and featured comedian Rob Sherrell.
Upon moving to Los Angeles, California for his music career, Dorian released the single “Don’t Sleep” on YouTube. After the audio version received 60,000 views, Dorian released "Don’t Sleep" to music streaming services Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal in August 2016. Dorian collaborated with Def Jam signee and Indianapolis rapper Mark Battles for the "Don't Sleep" remix. On October 28, 2016, Dorian opened up for Prodigy on The Commissary Kitchen Tour, which would be Prodigy's last show in Los Angeles before his death. The music video for "Don't Sleep" premiered on iHeartRadio's WZRL Real 98.3 Indianapolis. In 2017, So You Think You Can Dance Champion Kida The Great choreographed a routine to “Don’t Sleep” that went viral. Later that year, comedienne Jessica Vanessa used “Don’t Sleep” to score posts on Instagram. In April 2017, Dorian received FM radio play with his single "Even Love Me" debuting on WRIU 90.3 FM. Later that year, Dorian signed a music marketing deal with Journeys shoe store where his music video "Sunshine" was show in all 1300 locations across North America.
|The D.U.C.K. Tape||
|Every Scar Has A Story||
|"Sunshine"||2015||Every Scar Has A Story|
|"Don't Sleep (Remix)"
(feat. Mark Battles)
|“Even Love Me”||2016||TBA|
|2017||"Don't Sleep"||Darius Turbak|
- Simpson, Paul. "Dorian | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Interview with Dorian (Rapper/Producer)". CrazyPellas. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "About Dorian (hip-hop)". Sonicbids. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Cassell, Jacqueline (2015-02-24). "Rising Artist: Dorian". Entertwine.
- Cassell, Jacqueline (2015-02-24). "Rising Artist: Dorian". Entertwine. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Collings, Buddy (2010-02-06). "W. Park, Montverde roll". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Beasley, Adam (2011-01-14). "Montverde assistant: De La Rosa a 'true center' | FIU Panthers Prowl". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Hutchins, Andy (2011-05-02). "Patric Young On His Development Goals: "Relentless ... Double-Double Machine"". SB Nation. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Daily Dirt – 5/26/11 – HoopDirt". HoopDirt. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "ESPN NBA 2012 Summer Forecast contributors". ESPN. 2012-08-20. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Noel, Ruth (2015-03-02). "In the Spotlight: Chicago Rapper-Producer Dorian – Tax Twerk". Tax Twerk©. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Frazer, Bear (2016-01-25). "Dorian: Becoming The Master". Arena.com. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "WellconnectedWednesdays interview Joey French at Stopbeefinradio 103.7". Stop Beefin Radio. 2015-09-11. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Dorian (46) – Sunshine". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "About". DorianGroup82. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Every Scar Has a Story by Dorian on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Don't Sleep – Dorian, 2016-08-05, retrieved 2017-08-07 Spotify
- "Don't Sleep – Single by Dorian on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Dorian (46) – Don't Sleep (Remix) feat Mark Battles". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Blitz, Nico (2016-10-27). "Dorian Sucks Talks Upcoming Show with Prodigy of Mobb Deep". The Lunch Table Talks. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Jones, Angelina (2017-02-28). "New Music Video Alert: 'Don't Sleep' by Dorian | Angelina | Real 983". Real 98.3. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- Kida The Great (2016-06-07), NewGeneration916 dancing to #dontsleep by @doriansucks, retrieved 2017-08-07 YouTube
- "Instagram post by Jessica Vanessa • Mar 31, 2017 at 11:32pm UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "SubmitHub – Dorian, WRIU 90.3". SubmitHub. 2017-06-28. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "United States Chamber of Commerce: Small Biz Of The Week (3 Q's with Dorian Clark: owner Group 82 in Los Angeles, CA)". page.uschamber.com. 2018-10-02. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- Gouma, Nora (2015-02-20). "Interview with rapper and producer Dorian -". Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- "Dorian announces birth of daughter". www.instagram.com. 2019-06-17.