Diyarbakır Province (Turkish: Diyarbakır ili, Kurdish: Parêzgeha Amed) is a province in southeastern Turkey. The province covers an area of 15,355 km2 and its population is 1,528,958. The provincial capital is the city of Diyarbakır.
Location of Diyarbakır Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Diyarbakır|
|• Governor||Hasan Basri Güzeloğlu|
|• Total||15,355 km2 (5,929 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (290/sq mi)|
It has been home to many civilisations and the surrounding area including itself is home to many Mesolithic era stone carvings and artifacts. The province has been ruled by the Akkadians, Hurrians, Mittani, Medes, Hittites, Armenians, Neo-Babylonians, Achaemenids, Greeks, Romans, Parthia, Byzantium, Sassanids, Arabs, Seljuk Empire, Mongol Empire, Safavid dynasty, Marwanids, and Ayyubids.
Diyarbakır province is divided into 14 districts (capital district in bold):
|Assyrian and Armenian population in Diyarbakır Province in 1915-1916|
|Sect||Before World War I||Disappeared (killed)||After World War I|
|Armenians||Gregorians (Apostolic)||60,000||58,000 (97%)||2,000|
|Armenian Catholics||12,500||11,500 (92%)||1,000|
|Assyrians||Chaldean Catholics||11,120||10,010 (90%)||1,110|
|Syriac Catholic||5,600||3,450 (62%)||2,150|
|Syriac Orthodox||84,725||60,725 (72%)||24,000|
- "Population of provinces by years - 2000-2018". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Watts, Nicole F. (2010). Activists in Office: Kurdish Politics and Protest in Turkey (Studies in Modernity and National Identity). Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 167. ISBN 978-0-295-99050-7.
- Gaunt, David. Massacres, Resistance, Protectors: Muslim-Christian Relations in Eastern Anatolia during World War I. Piscataway, N.J.: Gorgias Press, 2006, p. 433.
- (in English) Pictures of the capital of this province
- (in English) Diyarbakir Weather Forecast Information
- (in English) Historical Armenian presence in Diyarbakir Province
- Tourism information is available in English at the Southeastern Anatolian Promotion Project site.
- (in English) Diyarbakir Live News