Copper Coast Council

The Copper Coast Council is a local government area in the Australian state of South Australia located at the northern end of the Yorke Peninsula. It was established in 1997 and its seat is in Kadina.

Copper Coast Council
South Australia
Copper Coast LGA.png
Copper Coast Council shown within South Australia
Population14,139 (2016 Census)[1]
 • Density18.291/km2 (47.37/sq mi)
Established6 February 1997[2]:824
Area773 km2 (298.5 sq mi)
MayorRoslyn Talbot [3]
Council seatKadina
RegionYorke and Mid North[4]
State electorate(s)Narungga[5]
Federal Division(s)Grey[5]
Copper Coast Council Logo.jpg
WebsiteCopper Coast Council
LGAs around Copper Coast Council:
Spencer Gulf Barunga West Barunga West
Spencer Gulf Copper Coast Council Barunga West
Yorke Peninsula Council Yorke Peninsula Council Yorke Peninsula Council


The Copper Coast Council is located at the northern end of Yorke Peninsula adjoining the coastline with Spencer Gulf between the settlement in Tickera in the north and the northern boundary of Nalyappa in the south.[5] The council seat is located at Kadina where its head office is located, while it maintains sub-offices at Moonta and Wallaroo.[6]

It covers an area of about 773 square kilometres (298 sq mi) of which 97.5% is used for agricultural purposes and with the remaining 2.5% (i.e. 19 square kilometres (7.3 sq mi)) being associated with three urban areas centred on the former government towns of Kadina, Moonta and Wallaroo. A fourth settlement, Paskeville, is located on the Copper Coast Highway in the east of the local government area.[7][5] The area's population counted at the 2016 Census was 12,949.[1]


The District Council of the Copper Coast was formed on 6 February 1997 through the amalgamation of the former District Council of Northern Yorke Peninsula and the Corporation of the Town of Wallaroo.[2]:826 In July 2017, the name was changed to the present designation.[8]


The council includes the towns and localities of Boors Plain, Cross Roads, Cunliffe, East Moonta, Hamley, Jericho, Jerusalem, Kadina, Kooroona, Matta Flat, Moonta, Moonta Bay, Moonta Mines, New Town, North Beach, North Moonta, North Yelta, Paramatta, Port Hughes, Thrington, Wallaroo, Wallaroo Mines, Wallaroo Plain, Warburto, Willamulka and Yelta, and parts of Paskeville and Tickera.[5]


The Copper Coast Council has a directly elected mayor.[9][7]

Ward Councillor Notes
Unsubdivided [3]   Roslyn Talbot Mayor [3]
  David Woodforde
  Dean Rodda
  Tim Love
  Neil Sawley
  Peter Oswald
  Bruce Schmidt
  Margaret Pope Deputy Mayor
  Cathy Vluggen
  Brent Walker


  • William Ivan Oates (1997–2000) [10][11]
  • Paul Thomas (2000–2018) [12][11]
  • Roslyn Talbot (current)[3]

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Copper Coast (DC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 March 2018.  
  2. ^ a b Kotz, D.C. (6 February 1997). "LLOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1934 SECTIONS 7 AND 14: AMALGAMATION OF THE DISTRICT COUNCIL OF NORTHERN YORKE PENINSULA AND THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF WALLAROO" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian government. pp. 825–826. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
  3. ^ a b c d "Current Members". District Council of the Copper Coast. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
  4. ^ "Yorke and Mid North SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
  5. ^ a b c d e "Search result for 'Kadina (LOCB)' with the following datasets selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Local Government Areas', 'Electorates Federal 2016' and 'Electorates State 2018'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
  6. ^ "Contact us". District Council of the Copper Coast. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
  7. ^ a b "Your Council". District Council of the Copper Coast. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
  8. ^ "Copper Coast Council renamed". Yorke Peninsula Country Times. 18 July 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2017. The name change, which was recommended as part of council’s elector representation review, was gazetted by the state government on Tuesday, July 4.
  9. ^ "Election Results 2014" (PDF). Local Government Association of South Australia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 June 2007. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
  10. ^ "Thursday, 3 April 1997" (PDF). The Government Gazette of South Australia. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
  11. ^ a b "House of Assembly - Tuesday 23 May 2000". Hansard. Parliament of South Australia. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
  12. ^ "Local Government Election Results". The Advertiser. 20 May 2000.

External linksEdit

Coordinates: 33°58′00″S 137°43′00″E / 33.9666666667°S 137.716666667°E / -33.9666666667; 137.716666667