Electoral district of Narungga
Narungga is a single-member electoral district for the South Australian House of Assembly. It was created by the redistribution of 2016, and was contested for the first time at the 2018 state election. It is named for the Narungga people who are the traditional owners of the lands in most of the electorate. It is one of only two state districts named after South Australia's indigenous people (the other being the electoral district of Kaurna).
South Australia—House of Assembly
|Electoral District map|
Narungga is officially renamed from the former seat of Goyder, which itself was a replacement for the former seat of Yorke Peninsula. At its creation, it drew 21,993 electors from Goyder and 2,325 from Frome. Of the remaining electors from Goyder, 999 were lost to Frome, 422 to Schubert, and 1,619 to Taylor.
Steven Griffiths had been the member for Goyder since 2006. He announced on 14 February 2017 that he would be retiring from parliament at the 2018 election. Narungga is held by the Liberal Party with a comfortable 13.8% notional margin on the new boundaries.:appendix 12 Counting its time as Goyder and Yorke Peninsula, the seat has been held by the Liberals and their predecessors, the Liberal and Country League, for all but seven years since the institution of single-member seats in 1938.
At its creation, Narungga covered Yorke Peninsula and nearby areas. It includes the Yorke Peninsula Council, District Council of the Copper Coast, District Council of Barunga West and included the western parts of the Wakefield Regional Council and Adelaide Plains Council.
Members for NarunggaEdit
|Total formal votes||22,093||95.9||−0.5|
- "Redistribution report appendices, appendix 9". Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Electoral District of Narungga (Map). Electoral Commission of South Australia. 2018. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Final Redistribution Report". South Australian Electoral Districts Boundaries Commission. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Richardson, Tom (14 February 2017). "Former Lib high-flyer joins exit queue as party seeks to end "natural gerrymander"". InDaily. Solstice Media. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Narungga (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- State Election Results - District Results for Narungga, ECSA.