Disco Raja is a 2020 Indian Telugu-language science fiction action film directed by Vi Anand. It stars Ravi Teja in the titular role along with Payal Rajput, Nabha Natesh, Tanya Hope, Bobby Simha, Vennela Kishore, Satya and Sunil. Ram Talluri produced the film under SRT Entertainments banner, while S. Thaman composed the music.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vi Anand|
|Produced by||Ram Talluri|
|Written by||Vi Anand|
Abburi Ravi (dialogues)
|Screenplay by||Vi Anand|
|Story by||Vi Anand|
|Narrated by||Vi Anand|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Edited by||Shravan Katikaneni|
|Distributed by||SRT Entertainments|
The film follows a dead man discovered to be frozen in the mountains of Ladakh. Once brought back to life using advanced technology by doctors at the Re-Live lab, he attempts to find out his identity and the people responsible for killing him.
Disco Raja was released theatrically on 24 January 2020, receiving mixed reviews from critics. Despite praise for Teja's performance and Thaman's music, the film became a commercial failure. Due to the disappointing box office performance, Teja decided not to experiment with his roles in the future, and plans for a sequel were also canceled.
A brutally attacked man left for dead in the mountain ranges of Ladakh is found frozen by an expedition team. He is taken to the Re-Live lab where doctor Shishir introduces a technology that can revive dead people, to doctor Parineeti and her colleague (Vennela Kishore). Following the experiment, the subject wakes up but with no memory of his past. On the other hand, his girlfriend Nabha explains to a loan officer that he, Vasu, handled multiple professions from day to night during which she fell for him. While searching for his stepbrother Kaushik who snatched the family's money, Vasu found him but never returned. She also reveals that Vasu's family members are actually orphans who came to live together. Back to the lab, Vasu escapes using Parineeti's card but is recaptured after he faints due to being exposed to heavy lighting. Parineeti then explains he was killed by someone and revived by the doctors. However, Parineeti is adamant on making Vasu revive his memories, and retrieves a commodity found with his corpse, giving it to Vennela for servicing.
In an attempt to gain attention of those who remember him, Vasu thrashes a minister and the video goes viral following his arrest. An aged gangster named Burma Sethu is surprised to find him alive and sends his men to pick him from the police station with the help of Laalu Sastry's group. The goons group take away Vasu, his brother and the doctors. Circumstances force Vennela to throw out Vasu's package given by Parineeti, and Vasu picks up the package to find a music player and headphones. Listening to the music, his memories are revived and he fights off the henchmen, revealing himself to be Disco Raj, this information also reach to Sethu by Laalu Sastry. before Shishir explains Raj's actual age is 70 as he was frozen for 35 years; he is possibly not Vasu. Raj takes Vennela along with him on a quest to rediscover his identity. In the hospital, an injured Shishir explains to Sethu about Raj's revival. Raj visits the Madras Bar founded by him, where a friend explains how Raj used to be a music-loving gangster at loggerheads with Sethu, a rival gangster whose refusal to collaborate sparked a gang war. Both parties killed each other's members, but Raj succeeded in getting Sethu arrested for life. Raj also fell for a deaf and mute girl named Helen who initially declined but eventually reciprocated. When she got pregnant before marriage, Raj married her, faked his own death and left behind his gang. However, Sethu was freed from prison and vengefully killed Raj's gang members. Raj and Helen were also attacked in Ladakh, but Raj managed to send Helen away in a truck before himself getting killed.
On the other hand, a police officer who has rescued Vasu and told him about Raj, his father, tells him to murder him for killing Helen. Arriving at the spot, Raj and Vennela are attacked by Vasu, who questions Raj about Helen's murder. Raj denies killing her, and gets into a fight with Sethu. A stabbed Sethu reveals he didn't get Raj killed in Ladakh, and he came after him to avenge his wife's murder. Raj denies killing her and realizing the truth, shoots the police officer who had not just brainwashed Vasu but also sent goons to kill Vasu's family. Seeing the officer's dead corpse's photo, the goons retreat. Raj and Vennela discover a man named Anthony Das gave the cop orders to kill them, and along with Vasu, hold Anthony's son on gunpoint, before Anthony, revealed to be Raj's gang member Uttar Kumar, shoots Raj. He reveals he killed Sethu's wife and got the latter to kill Raj's gang. He even faked his own death and was one of the men who stabbed Raj in Ladakh. However, Raj, Vasu and Vennela together fight off and kill the goons. Raj kills Anthony and himself succumbs to the injuries. Returning to Delhi, Vasu pays his family's loan with the help of Kaushik and reconciles with Nabha. At the end, Raj is brought back to life once again by the doctors, while Sethu and Anthony are also recovering in the lab.
- Ravi Teja as Disco Raj / Vasu
- Payal Rajput as Helen
- Nabha Natesh as Nabha
- Tanya Hope as Parineeti
- Bobby Simha as Burma Sethu
- Sunil as Utham Kumar / Anthony Das
- Vennela Kishore as Palguni, Parineeti's colleague
- Satya as Philip
- Ramki as Bharani
- Naresh as Kukuteshwar Rao
- Bharath Reddy as Subbu
- Raghu Babu
- Shishir Sharma
- CVL Narasimha Rao
- Muskan Arora
- Ahay Bethiganti (actor) as sethu assistant
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Lahari Music, T-Series|
|S. Thaman chronology|
|Singles from Disco Raja|
The second single track "Dilli Wala" was released on 20 December 2019, peppy number was sung by Aditya Iyengar, Geetha Madhuri, Rahul Nambiar and lyrics penned by Ramajogayya Sastry. Thaman has given an EDM touch to it with his contemporary score.
|1.||"Nuvvu Naatho Emannavo"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||5:40|
|2.||"Dilli Wala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Aditya Iyengar, Geetha Madhuri, Rahul Nambiar||5:11|
|3.||"Rum Pum Bum"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Ravi Teja, Bappi Lahiri, Sri Krishna||3:26|
|4.||"Freak Out (Theme Music)"||Instrumental||2:15|
Motion poster was released on Ravi Teja's birthday and Republic Day i.e. 26 January 2019. First look poster of Bobby Simha was released on 6 November 2019, on his birthday and revealed his character as Burma Sethu. On December 4, 2019 movie has announced the teaser release date by releasing a new poster featuring Ravi Teja. First look poster of Payal Rajput was released on 5 December 2019, on her birthday. First look poster of Nabha Natesh was released on 11 December 2019, on her birthday.
- "SRT Entertainments on Twitter: With a Run Time of 149 minutes, #DiscoRaja🦋 is ALL SET for release". Twitter. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Anand's script requires a budget of Rs 40 crore. Following the revisions, the budget has come down to Rs 30 crore". Deccan Chronicle. 3 May 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- 23 (6 December 2019). "Disco Raja Teaser : Ravi Teja Done With The Crap". Gulte. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- kavirayani, suresh (9 November 2019). "A birthday gift for Ravi Teja!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- Adivi, Sashidhar (6 December 2019). "From hot to versatile". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Bobby Simha's role in 'Disco Raja' revealed on his birthday". www.thenewsminute.com. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Ravi Teja's Disco Raja release date out". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Ravi Teja's upcoming film Disco Raja to hit the big screen on THIS date; Find Out". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "'Disco Raja' Box Office Collection: Ravi Teja Starrer Witnesses Another Drop On Day 6". Republic TV. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "Ravi Teja's flop streak continues". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "A dubious hat-trick". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "No Sequel for Disco Raja". The Hans India. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- "'It's a challenge to compose music for commercial films': S Thaman". The New Indian Express. 4 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Nuvvu Naatho Emannavo: A refreshing melody from Ravi Teja's Disco Raja". The Times of India. 20 October 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "DISCO RAJA'S NEW SONG DILLI WALA' IS JUST 'WOW'". Iqlikmovies.com. 22 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Official: Ravi Teja's Disco Raja to hit the theaters on January 24, 2020". The Times of India. 7 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "A birthday gift for Ravi Teja!". Deccan Chronicle. 9 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Disco Raja - Motion Poster". The Times of India. 26 January 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Bobby Simha as Burma Sethu in Disco Raja". The Times of India. 6 November 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Disco Raja team announces teaser release date with a new poster featuring Ravi Teja". The Times of India. 4 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "First Look of Payal Rajput from Disco Raja". Tollywood.Net. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Birthday Girl Nabha Natesh's look from Ravi Teja-Vi Anand's film Disco Raja". The Times of India. 11 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Disco Raja teaser out! Ravi Teja is the perfect blend of disco and danger in VI Anand directorial". Times Now. 6 December 2019. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "Disco Raja Second Teaser Out, Ravi Teja Back with a Bang". CNN-News18. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Disco Raja pre-release event to be held on January 19". The Times of India. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.