Roman Catholic Diocese of Malacca-Johor
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Malacca-Johor (Latin: Dioecesis Melakana-Giohorana) is a diocese of the Latin Church of the Catholic Church in the Ecclesiastical province of Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. It is located in southern region of Peninsular Malaysia, administering Melaka and Johor states.
Diocese of Malacca-Johor
|Ecclesiastical province||Kuala Lumpur|
|Area||20,364 km2 (7,863 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||18 December 1972|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Johor Bahru|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Julian Leow Beng Kim (2014-current)|
|Vicar General||Peter Ng|
|Bishops emeritus||James Chan Soon Cheong Bishop Emeritus (1973-2001)|
The mother church is the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Johor Bahru, Johor(e); there is also a former Cathedral, now Church of St. Peter, in Melaka.
- Established on 4 February 1558 as the Diocese of Malacca–Johor(e) Diocese of Malacca on territory split off from the then Diocese of Goa, within the Portuguese colonial empire.
- It became suffragan (other being Roman Catholic Diocese of Cochin) to the promoted Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa
- Lost territory on 23 January 1576 to establish the Roman Catholic Diocese of Macau 澳門(continental China)
- Lost territory in 1712 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Islands of the Indian Ocean
- 1838: Suppressed, its territory being joined with Siam
- Restored on 10 September 1841, albeit again with pre-diocesan status and exempt, as the Apostolic Vicariate of Western Siam, on territory split off from the then Apostolic Vicariate of Siam
- Promoted on 19 August 1888 as the  Diocese of Malacca 
- Promoted on 19 September 1953 as (non-metropolitan) Archdiocese of Malacca
- 25 February 1955: Promoted as Metropolitan Archdiocese of Malacca-Singapore, having lost territories to establish the Dioceses of Kuala Lumpur (now its Metropolitan) and of Penang
- On 18 December 1972, the diocese was demoted and renamed as the Diocese of Malacca-Johor, when the Archdiocese of Malacca-Singapore was split into the Archdiocese of Singapore and this diocese. Rt. Rev James Chan was appointed as the first Bishop.
- On 27 May 1985, its name was changed to the Diocese of Melaka-Johor. The diocese is suffragan of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur.
- On 13 February 2003, Rt. Rev Paul Tan Chee Ing, SJ was appointed as the second Bishop of the Melaka-Johor Diocese.
- On 19 November 2015, the Vatican appointed Rt. Rev Anthony Bernard Paul as the third Bishop of this Diocese.
- Suffragan bishops of the (First) Diocese of Malacca
- Jorge de Santa Luzia, Dominican Order (O.P.) (1558-1576)
- João Ribeiro Gaio (1589 - death 1601)
- Gonçalvo (Gonzalo) da Silva (1613-1632), later Bishop of Ceuta (Spain) (1632.09.06 – 1645) and Apostolic Prefect of Marocco (Morocco) (1632.09.06 – death 1649.02.16)
- Gregório dos Anjos (? – 1677.08.30 not possessed), later Bishop of São Luís do Maranhão (Brazil) (1677.08.30 – death 1689.05.11)
- Antonio a S. Theresia, Friars Minor (O.F.M.) (1691-????)
- ? Emmanuel a S. Antonio, O.P. (1701-1738)
- Antonius de Castro (1738.09.03 – death 1743.08.09)
- Miguel de Bulhões e Souza, O.P. (1746.03.28 – 1747.12.08), later Coadjutor Bishop of Belém do Pará (Brazil) (1747.12.08 – 1748.05.18), succeeding as Bishop of Belém do Pará (1748.05.18 – 1760.03.24), finally Bishop of Leiria (Portugal) (1760.03.24 – death 1779.09.14)
- Gerardus a S. Joseph, O.P. (1748.02.19 – death 1760.01)
- Alexandre da Sagrada Familia Ferreira da Silva, O.F.M. (1782.12.16 – 1785.02.14), later Bishop of São Paulo de Loanda (Angola) (1785.02.14 – 1787.11.23), Bishop of Angra (Portugal) (1815.12.18 – death 1818.04.23)
- Francisco de São Damazo Abreu Vieira, O.F.M. (1804.10.29 – 1815.03.15), later Metropolitan Archbishop of São Salvador da Bahia (Brazil) (1815.03.15 – 1816.11.18)
- Apostolic Vicars of Malacca-Singapore
- Jean-Paul-Hilaire-Michel Courvezy, Paris Foreign Missions Society (M.E.P.) (1841.09.10 – 1844.09.07), Titular Bishop of Bitha (1832.04.05 – death 1857.05.01); previously Coadjutor Apostolic Vicar of Siam (Thailand) (1832.04.05 – 1834.03.30) succeeded as Apostolic Vicar of Siam (1834.03.30 – 1841.09.10)
- Jean-Baptiste Boucho, M.E.P. (1845.06.03 – 1871.03.06), Titular Bishop of Attalia (1845.06.10 – 1871.03.06)
- Michel-Esther Le Turdu, M.E.P. (1871.03.06 – death 1877.05.10), Titular Bishop of Corycus (1871.01.23 – 1877.05.10), succeeding as former Coadjutor Apostolic Vicar of Western Siam (1871.01.23 – 1871.03.06)
- Edouard Gasnier, M.E.P. (1878.03.28 – 1888.08.19 see below), Titular Bishop of Eucarpia (1878.03.28 – 1888.08.19)
- Suffragan Bishops of the (Second) Diocese of Malacca
- Edouard Gasnier, M.E.P. (1888.08.19 – death 1896.04.08)
- René-Michel-Marie Fée, M.E.P. (1896.07.21 – death 1904.01.20)
- Marie-Luc-Alphonse-Emile Barillon, M.E.P. (1904.05.10 – 1933.01.10), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Thaumacus (1933.01.10 – 1935.07.27)
- Adrien Pierre Devals, M.E.P. (1933.11.27 – death 1945.01.17)
- Michel Olçomendy, M.E.P. (1947.01.21 – 1953.09.19 see below)
- Archbishop of Malacca
- Michel Olçomendy, M.E.P. (see above 1953.09.19 – 1955.02.25 see below)
- Metropolitan Archbishop of Malacca-Singapore
- Michel Olçomendy, M.E.P. (see above 1955.02.25 – 1972.12.18), also President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei (1964 – 1969); later Archbishop of Singapore (Singapore) (1972.12.18 – 1976)
- Suffragan Bishop of Malacca-Johor
- James Chan Soon Cheong (1972.12.18 – 1985 see below)
- Suffragan Bishops of Melaka-Johor
List of parishesEdit
There are 3 districts: South Johor, North Johor and Malacca. There are currently 20 churches being administered under 17 parishes.
- South Johor Vicariate Forane
- Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Taman Seri Tebrau/Century Garden, Johor Bahru
- Church of the Immaculate Conception, Tanjung Puteri, Johor Bahru
- Church of Christ the King, Kulai
- Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Pekan Nanas, Pontian
- Church of St. Joseph, Plentong, Masai, Iskandar Puteri, Johor Bahru
- Church of St. Theresa, Masai, Iskandar Puteri, Johor Bahru
- Church of the Holy Family, Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru
- Church of St. Elizabeth, Kota Tinggi
- Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pontian Kechil, Pontian
- North Johor Vicariate Forane
- Diocese of Malacca | Original Catholic Encyclopedia Archived 20 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- www.gcatholic.org | Diocese of Malacca–Johor(e)
- Archdiocese of Goa - suffragan sees of Cochin and Malacca
- "Vicariate Apostolic of Siam". Original Catholic Encyclopedia, oce.catholic.com. Archived from the original on 30 March 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Pope Francis appoints Msgr Bernard Paul as new Bishop of Melaka-Johor". 19 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Churches in Malaysia.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic churches in Malaysia.|