Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Roman Catholic Metropolitan Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur (Latin: Archidioecesis Kuala Lumpurensis) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in Malaysia. It was erected as the Diocese of Kuala Lumpur by Pope Pius XII on 25 February 1955, and was elevated to the rank of a Metropolitan Archdiocese on 18 December 1972, with the suffragan sees of Malacca-Johor and Penang. It also administers the capital of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur and the states of Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang, Terengganu. The archdiocese's Mother Church and thus, seat of its Archbishop, is St. John's Cathedral.
Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur
Archidioecesis Kuala Lumpurensis
Keuskupan Agung Kuala Lumpur
St. John's Cathedral
|Ecclesiastical province||Kuala Lumpur|
|Area||63,763 km2 (24,619 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)|
|Established||25 February 1955|
|Cathedral||St. John's Cathedral|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Julian Leow Beng Kim|
|Vicar General||Leonard Lexson|
|Bishops emeritus||Murphy Pakiam (2003-2013)|
Anthony Soter Fernandez (1983-2003)
In 1786, the first church was established in Penang.This led to the formation of Vicariate of Siam and Kedah, which expanded towards the entire Malayan Peninsula and Singapore.The Vicariate of Malaya was formed in 1841. The Church of Visitation was founded in 1848 in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan. This is the first known church to be erected in central Malaya. A historical moment was made in 1888, when the Diocese of Malacca was formed. The first church in Kuala Lumpur was dedicated to St John the evangelist in 1883, and would be later known as St. John's Cathedral, the Mother Church of Kuala Lumpur.
In 1955, the Diocese of Malacca became a Metropolitan Archdiocese, with the newly formed Diocese of Penang and Diocese of Kuala Lumpur as its suffragan sees.Bishop Dominic Vendargon was appointed as the first Bishop of Kuala Lumpur, and was ordained in the same year. In 1972, the Diocese of Kuala Lumpur was elevated into an Archdiocese, with the suffragan dioceses of Penang and Malacca-Johor.
In 1983, Archbishop Dominic Vendargon retired. Bishop Anthony Soter Fernandez of Penang was appointed as the 2nd Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur. When he retired in 2003, he was succeeded by Archbishop Murphy Pakiam who was then the Auxiliary Bishop.On 3 July 2014, the Vatican appointed Most Rev Julian Leow as the 4th Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur, after the resignation of Archbishop Emeritus Murphy Pakiam was accepted by Pope Francis in December 2013. During the consistory on 19 November 2016, Pope Francis installed Archbishop Emeritus Anthony Soter Fernandez as a cardinal, making him the first Bishop from Malaysia to be appointed.
Below are statistics of the archdiocese.
- Area of territory - 63,763 km2
- Approximate total population - 10,421,600
- Estimate Catholic population - 134,000
- Churches - 36
- Chapels & Mass Centres - 49
- Clergy - Bishops: 3, Diocesan Priests: 49, Religious Priests: 10, Deacon: 1
- Religious Sisters - 102
- Religious Brothers - 17
- Educational Institutions - Nursing College: 1, Secondary Schools: 15, Primary Schools: 32, Kindergartens: 21
- Charitable and Social Institutions - Hospital: 1, Home of Aged: 2, Counselling Centres: 3
List of Bishops and Archbishops of Kuala LumpurEdit
List of parishes in the Archdiocese of Kuala LumpurEdit
These are the list of parishes in the Archdiocese. Outstations are not listed.
- Kuala Lumpur Central District
- Kuala Lumpur North District
- Kuala Lumpur South District
- Petaling District
- Klang District
- North West District
- Negeri District
- Pahang/Terengganu District
Awards and recognitionEdit
- 2016 The Fisher's Net Awards - Best Diocesan Use of New Media
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Churches in Malaysia.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic churches in Malaysia.|
- www.catholic-hierarchy.org | Statistics - Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur
- "General Info".
- "Original Catholic Encyclopedia:Diocese of Malacca". 21 May 2015. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Pope Francis accepts resignation of Archbishop Murphy Pakiam of Kuala Lumpur". 21 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Pope appoints Chinese Malaysian priest as new Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur". 21 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "Pope installs 17 cardinals, including Malaysia's Anthony Soter Fernandez". 20 November 2016. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "General Info".
- "AWARD WINNERS". 2016. Archived from the original on 13 May 2018. Retrieved 13 May 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter