Delivery Hero SE is a European multinational online food-delivery service based in Berlin, Germany. The company operates in 40+ countries internationally in Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East and partners with 250,000+ restaurants.
|Traded as||FWB: DHER|
|Industry||Online food ordering|
|Founder||Niklas Östberg |
|Products||food and beverages for delivery or pick up|
Baedaltong (South Korea)
|Revenue||$687.0 million (2018)|
Number of employees
According to its annual report of the year 2018, the company is the global leader in categories such as orders, restaurants and active customers. For instance, Delivery Hero processed more than 369 million orders in 2018.
Delivery Hero Holding was founded by Niklas Östberg, Kolja Hebenstreit, Markus Fuhrmann and Lukasz Gadowski in May 2011, with the goal of turning Delivery Hero into a global online food ordering platform. Under the leadership of Niklas Östberg and Fabian Siegel, Delivery Hero first expanded to Australia and the United Kingdom in 2011. In early 2012 the enterprise acquired Lieferheld in Germany and acquired a stake in Foodarena, Switzerland.
Delivery Hero then raised €25 million in new funding to finance acquisitions in four European countries: Sweden, Finland, Austria and Poland. In August 2012 Delivery Hero started expanding in both South Korea and China through YoGiYo and Aimifan and the Asian expansion continued in 2013 when Delivery Hero increased investment in TastyKhana following a successful cooperation period.
In 2012 and 2013, the harsh competition between the various delivery service online portals led the German press to dub the events as cyberwar between the big web-portals. There were reports of frequent Denial-of-service attack attacks against each portal, accusations of data stealing as well as numerous lawsuits of the portals against each other. Delivery Hero was one of the more aggressive actors, and in 2012, the Delivery Hero office in Berlin was raided by police and the prosecution pressed charged against the Delivery Hero management. Delivery Hero was prosecuted for perpetrating DoS attacks against its competitors and stealing data from the other web services.
According to TNW Tech5 2014, Delivery Hero was one of Germany's top 3 fastest growing start ups at that time.
In April 2015, Delivery Hero acquired South Korean delivery service Baedaltong, one of the chief competitors of its own YoGiYo service. One month later Delivery Hero bought the Turkish competitor Yemeksepeti for 530 million Euro, which was the largest acquisition in this business sector to date. In October 2015 Delivery Hero also acquired Munich-based food delivery service Foodora from Rocket Internet.
In December 2016, the company announced the sale of its UK business Hungryhouse to Just Eat for at least £200m. However, the deal needs to be cleared by the Competition and Markets Authority of UK before completion. On 12 October 2017, CMA gave a preliminary approval for Just Eat to acquire its smaller rival.
Delivery Hero went public in a listing on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange on June 30, 2017. The listing was the largest by a European technology business in almost two years. Delivery Hero raised almost €1bn from the offering.
In November 2011, Delivery Hero received its first investment funding. In this financing round Team Europe, Holtzbrinck Ventures, Tengelmann Ventures, Kite Ventures and ru-Net together invested €4 million. The second funding round took place in April 2012. This time the existing investors raised their investments by €25 million to support the international growth of the enterprise. In August 2012 Delivery Hero received an additional €40 million funded primarily by Kite Ventures and Kreos Capital. A Series D financing round saw Delivery Hero receive $30 million from Phenomen Ventures In the latest Series D financing round.
In January 2014 Delivery Hero announced a Series E financing of $88 million led by Insight Venture Partners. A further $85m followed in April 2014 and was used to strengthen Delivery Hero's presence in core markets.
In September 2014 a further $350m of investment was secured from existing partners and Swedish fund Vostok Nafta. This was the largest investment in a European start up since 2009. In December 2014 the company raised another €287 Million from Rocket Internet. The total investment size by Rocket Internet was €496 Million in primary and secondary for a 30% stake in Delivery Hero. Three months later Rocket Internet increased its stake in Delivery Hero to 39%. In February 2018, Rocket Internet reduced its stake in Delivery Hero. As per the latest happening, the shareholding of Rocket Internet in Delivery Hero has reduced from 24.3% to 21.2%.
In January 2017, CEO Niklas Östberg announced that he wanted his company to be ready for an IPO in the second quarter of that year. Delivery Hero would focus on the integration of the recently acquired competitor Foodpanda. According to manager magazin, he was aiming at a valuation of about 3.5 billion Euros.
In May 2017 Naspers, a global internet and entertainment group and one of the world's largest technology investors, invested EUR 387 million in Delivery Hero. After increasing its stake in September 2017, Naspers today holds a stake of app. 26% in Delivery Hero, and so became the largest shareholder of the company.
In December 2017, Delivery Hero led the Series B funding round of Rappi, the largest on-demand delivery company in Latam, operating in 5 countries with over 30,000 couriers. Delivery Hero invested $105M and now holds a stake of 20%, becoming the largest shareholder of the company and bringing Niklas Oestberg to its board of directors. Despite this investment, Rappi will continue to operate as an independent company for the time being. Furthermore, the company is also an investor in Glovo.
Brands and marketsEdit
Delivery Hero is active in more than 40 markets across the Americas, Asia, Europe, and MENA.
The company runs a multi-brand approach (“House of Brands”) with app. 30 different brands worldwide. Delivery Hero's portfolio of brands includes among others: Carriage, Hungerstation, Foodora, Foodpanda, PedidosYa, Talabat, Yemeksepeti, Yogiyo & Otlob.
Delivery Hero was very active in M&A, the company's acquisitions include:
- 2011: Hungryhouse (UK)
- 2012: Lieferheld (Germany), OnlinePizza (Sweden), PizzaPortal (Poland), Pizza-Online (Finland)
- 2014: PedidosYa, Clickdelivery (Latin America), Pizza.de (Germany), Baedaltong (Korea)
- 2015: Talabat (MENA), Yemeksepeti (Turkey), E-food (Greece), Damejidlo (Czech Republic), foodora
- 2016: foodpanda
- 2017: Carriage (MENA), Appetito24 (Latin America), Foodfly (Korea) 
- 2018: Hipmenu (Europe), Netcomidas (Bolivia)
- 2019: Zomato food delivery business (MENA)
|Year||Revenue (Mio. €)||EBITDA
- "About us". Delivery Hero SE. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Delivery Hero Company Profile". Craft. Retrieved 9 December 2019.
- Meyer, David, Delivery Hero fuels up for acquisitions with fresh $49m round, retrieved 21 September 2012
- Delivery Hero generates 66% revenue growth in the first six months of 2017, retrieved 26 September 2017
- Hüsing, Alexander, Kurzmitteilungen: Delivery Hero, commercetools, chocri, Startup Weekend Nürnberg, Niklas Zennström, retrieved 21 September 2012
- Brenneisen, Malte; Eversmeier, Jochen, Lieferhelden greifen an, archived from the original on 31 August 2012, retrieved 22 September 2012
- Fowler, Nina, Delivery Hero takes on Asia’s giant, China, archived from the original on 22 September 2012, retrieved 22 September 2012
- "Delivery Hero invests $5m in India's TastyKhana". 13 June 2013. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Henryk Hielscher. "Pizza Inferno - Die Cyberschlacht der Essens-Portale" [Cyber battle between the food-portals] (in German). Wirtschaftswoche. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Veit Medick; Marcel Rosenbach. "Cyberkrieg der Pizzaboten" [Cyberwar of the pizza delivery men] (in German). Der Spiegel. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Uruguay's PedidosYa Acquired By Delivery Hero, Expands Network to 20 Countries - Endeavor". 28 June 2014. Archived from the original on 30 June 2015. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Delivery Hero Joins The $1B Valuation Club As It Gobbles Rival Pizza.de". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Lieferheld schluckt Pizza.de" [Delivery Hero swallows Pizza.de] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Laive, Patrick de (11 April 2014). "Tech5: Here's Europe's Fastest Growing Tech Companies". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Delivery Hero kauft türkischen Wettbewerber" [Delivery Hero buys Turkish competitor] (in German). Handelsblatt. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- On-demand food delivery service foodora merges with Delivery Hero's Urban Taste and breaks into the global market, retrieved 19 September 2015
- "Delivery Hero acquires Foodpanda as Rocket Internet shuffles online takeout pack once again. Arabia".
- Wood, Zoe (15 December 2016). "Just Eat online takeaway service pays £200m for UK rival Hungry House". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Lynch, Russell (13 October 2017). "Just Eat gets go-ahead to swallow Hungryhouse". Evening Standard. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Delivery Hero's valuation surpasses $5B following successful IPO". Techcrunch. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Takeaway.com beats Delivery Hero in battle for German dominance". CNBC. 21 December 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "When Delivery Hero was young: the early years". 13 July 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Delivery Hero sammelt weitere 40 Millionen Euro ein". 27 August 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Lomas, Natasha. "Delivery Hero Tops Up Series D With $30M As Its Global Take-Out Service Heads For Profit". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Delivery Hero Secures $88M Series E, Aims to Conquer European Online Delivery Space -". 16 January 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Delivery Hero Gobbles Another $85M To Fuel A Price War With Just-Eat". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Delivery Hero raises $350m for global growth". Ft.com. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Basich, Zoran. "The Daily Startup: The Biggest European Venture Capital Rounds Ever". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Germany, SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg. "Essen auf Rädern: Samwer-Brüder investieren halbe Milliarde in Essenszustellung". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "BRIEF - Rocket Internet says it reduced its stake in Delivery Hero". Reuters. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Philipp Alvares de Souza Soares, Jonas Rest. "Delivery Hero will vor Börsengang tiefstapeln". manager magazin. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Naspers invests another $775M in food take-out giant Delivery Hero". Techcrunch. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Rappi Series B SEC Form D Filling". Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "This delivery app puts a courier on every corner". Bloomberg. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Delivery Hero homepage". Delivery Hero. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "Delivery Hero on Techcrunch". Techcrunch. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- EBIT (operating result) per Gewinn- und Verlustrechnung zuzüglich Abschreibungen (depreciation, amortization and impairment) per Kapitalflussrechnung, ohne weitere Bereinigungen
- Geschäftsbericht 2014 der Delivery Hero Holding GmbH
- Geschäftsbericht 2015 der Delivery Hero Holding GmbH
- Geschäftsbericht 2016 der Delivery Hero Holding GmbH
-  der Delivery Hero Holding GmbH
- Niklas Wirminghaus (8 February 2016). "Ungewöhnlicher Schritt: Delivery Hero streicht Tech-Stellen in Berlin | Gründerszene". Gruenderszene.de. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Niklas Wirminghaus (29 September 2015). "Delivery Hero trennt sich von Deutschland-Chef David Rodriguez | Gründerszene". Gruenderszene.de. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Lieferando & Co.: Verlustgeschäft mit Potenzial - WELT". Welt.de. 14 February 2016. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Was steckt hinter dem Lieferheld-Strafbefehl? | Gründerszene". Gruenderszene.de. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2017.