Baillie Gifford & Co is an investment management firm which is wholly owned by partners, all of whom work within the firm. It was founded in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1908 and still has its headquarters in the city. It has corporate offices in New York and London.
|Headquarters||Edinburgh, Scotland, UK|
|Andrew Telfer, Senior Partner|
|AUM||£223 billion (2022)|
Number of employees
Baillie & Gifford WS was formed in 1907 as a partnership between Lieutenant Colonel Augustus Baillie and Carlyle Gifford. Initially, it was a law firm but the financial climate of the time led to the business switching its emphasis to investment in 1908. In 1909, Baillie & Gifford created the Straits Mortgage and Trust Company Limited to lend money to rubber planters in Malaya and Ceylon.
The Straits Mortgage and Trust Company Limited was renamed The Scottish Mortgage and Trust Limited in 1913, and this was followed by the introduction of several other investment trusts. Baillie Gifford’s clients and staff emerged relatively unscathed from the First World War, and the ‘Roaring Twenties’ gave Gifford many opportunities to expand the firm’s investment business. By 1927, the transition of Baillie & Gifford WS from a firm of solicitors conducting institutional investment business to a partnership managing investment trusts was completed with the creation of Baillie Gifford & Co.
Baillie died in 1939 and, the following year, Gifford was posted to New York on UK Government business. However, the firm survived the war and the troubled investment climate which followed. After a period of strong growth in the firm’s staff and client base, Gifford retired in 1965 at the age of 84. Baillie Gifford emerged from a further period of economic weakness in the UK during the 1970s with its position enhanced by growth in the amount of money it managed on behalf of clients.
By the time of its centenary in 2008, Baillie Gifford had offices in New York and London in addition to its headquarters in Edinburgh, and was managing more than £50 billion. Clients included five of the seven largest pension funds in the US and the firm had also attracted significant levels of business from Japan and Australia, as well as continuing to make inroads in other parts of the Far and Middle East. Baillie Gifford sponsors the Baillie Gifford Prize for non-fiction books.
In 2015 Baillie Gifford opened an office in Hong Kong under the subsidiary Baillie Gifford Asia (Hong Kong) Limited 百利亞洲(香港)有限公司.
The company launched the Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust in 2018 and, after Baillie Gifford secured the management of Witan Pacific Investment Trust plc in 2020, the latter trust announced that would change its name to the Baillie Gifford China Growth Trust. After a purchase on 31 March 2022, Baille Gifford become the largest shareholder of Ginkgo Bioworks.
See also edit
Investment trusts managed by Baillie Gifford:
- "assets under management". www.bailliegifford.com. 31 December 2022. p. 33.
- "Baillie Gifford EMLC Quarterly Update". Baillie Gifford. 30 September 2022. Archived from the original on 25 January 2023. Retrieved 3 February 2023.
- Burns, Page 3
- Burns, Page 6
- "How a century-old Scottish fund made a 1,000% return on Alibaba". Sky News. 2 November 2018.
- Burns, Page 12
- Burns, Page 28
- "Will these funds improve after sacking their managers?". The Telegraph. 13 April 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "The Don't Worry, make money strategy". Forbes. 19 May 2020.
- Burns, Page 43
- Burns, Appendix III
- "Edinburgh's Baillie Gifford sees joint senior partner retire after four decades". The Scotsman. 8 May 2020.
- "Trust Watch: look East for Baillie Gifford bargains". Investment Trust Insider. 26 July 2019.
- "Directors | The Baillie Gifford Prize for Non-Fiction". thebailliegiffordprize.co.uk. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Baillie Gifford hires marketing director in Hong Kong". Funds Global Asia. 5 April 2016.
- "Baillie Gifford to launch a US growth trust". Investors Chronicle. 15 February 2018.
- "Baillie Gifford Takes Over £215m Witan In China Move". Scottish Financial Review. 22 July 2020.
- "Baillie Gifford Just Bought Ginkgo Bioworks (DNA) Stock. Here's Why". 7 April 2022.