David Michael Garrood Newbery, CBE, FBA (born 1 June 1943), is a Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Cambridge. He got this position in 1988. He specializes in the field of energy economics, and he writes on the regulation of electricity markets. His interests also include climate change mitigation and environmental policy, privatisation, and risk.
|Born||1 June 1943|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Newbery was born on 1 June 1943 at Fulmer Chase, Fulmer, Buckinghamshire, England. He studied at Portsmouth Grammar School from 1954 till 1961, where he won Best Science Candidate in Cambridge GCE A&S Level. He then proceeded to study Mathematics and Economics at Trinity College, Cambridge, obtaining a B.A. in 1964, M.A. (Cantab.) in 1968 and a Ph.D. degree in 1976.
In 1965 he was pre-elected to Churchill Teaching Fellowship. In 1966 he got a position of University Assistant Lecturer at Faculty of Economics. Later he was a Director of Department of Applied Economics from 1988 till 2003. He also served as a Professor II at Tromso University, Norway from 2011 till 2013.
In 1981 Newbery co-authored a book and several articles with Nobel-laureate Joseph Stiglitz. The name of the book was "The Theory of Commodity Price Stabilization: A Study in the Economics of Risk"
Besides his role as Professor of Applied Economics at Cambridge, he serves as Vice-Chairman of Cambridge Economic Policy Associates, Director of the Cambridge Electricity Policy Research Group and an occasional consultant to the World Bank. In 1988–2003 he was Director of the Department of Applied economics. He was a member of the Competition Commission in 1996–2002, and chairman of the Dutch electricity market surveillance committee. He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1991. He is a member of the Academic Panel of DEFRA. Since 1966 he has been a fellow of Churchill College, and succeeded Archie Howie as President of its Senior Combination Room (SCR) in October 2010.
- Newbery was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for services to economics.
- He was elected Fellow of Econometric Society in 1989.
- He was awarded Frisch Medal of the Econometric Society in 1990.
- He was awarded Harry Johnson Prize by Canadian Economics Association in 1993.
- He received the IAEE 2002 Outstanding Contributions to the Profession of Energy Economics Award.
- He got an Honorary Degree at the University of Antwerp in 2004.
- He was president of International Association of Energy Economics in 2013.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (1981). The theory of commodity price stabilization: a study in the economics of risk. Oxford Oxford New York: Clarendon Press Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198284178.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stern, Nicholas (1987). The Theory of taxation for developing countries. New York: Published for the World Bank by Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195205411.
- Newbery, David M.G. (1995). Tax and benefit reform in Central and Eastern Europe. London: Centre for Economic Policy Research. ISBN 9781898128199.
- Newbery, David M. (1999). Privatization, restructuring, and regulation of network utilities. The Walras-Pareto Lectures. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press.
- Newbery, David M. (2003). The distributional impact of the proposed tax reform on Greek households.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Székely, István P. (2008). Hungary: an economy in transition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521057547.
- Newbery, David M.G. (September 1970). "A theorem on the measurement of inequality". Journal of Economic Theory. 2 (3): 264–266. doi:10.1016/0022-0531(70)90040-2.
- Newbery, David M.G. (Spring 1978). "Stochastic limit pricing". The Bell Journal of Economics. 9 (1): 260–269. doi:10.2307/3003625. JSTOR 3003625.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (December 1979). "The theory of commodity price stabilisation rules: welfare impacts and supply responses". The Economic Journal. 89 (356): 799–817. doi:10.2307/2231500. JSTOR 2231500.
- Newbery, David M.G.; Stiglitz, Joseph E. (January 1984). "Pareto inferior trade". Review of Economic Studies. 51 (1): 1–12. doi:10.2307/2297701. JSTOR 2297701.
- Newbery, D.M. and J.E. Stiglitz (1982) ‘The Choice of Techniques and the Optimality of Market Equilibrium with Rational Expectations’, Journal of Political Economy, 90(2), April, 223-46. doi: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1830291?seq=2#references_tab_contents. JSTOR 1830291.
- "Prof David Newbery, CBE, FBA". Debrett's. Retrieved 12 December 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Newbery, David M. G." Library of Congress. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
data sheet (b. 6-1-1943)
- Faculty page at University of Cambridge
- Blaug, Mark; Vane, Howard R. (2003). Who's Who in Economics. Edward Elgar Publishing. p. 601. ISBN 978-1840649925.
- David Michael Garrood Newbery[permanent dead link]
- "Electricity Policy Research Group profile". Archived from the original on 7 January 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Profile at EE Institute
- Churchill College SCR
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 8.
- David Michael Garrood Newbery[permanent dead link]
|This article about an educator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|