David Davies (swimmer)
David Michael Rhys Davies (born 3 March 1985) is a Welsh former competitive swimmer who has represented Wales at the Commonwealth Games, and swam for Great Britain at Summer Olympics, world championships and European championships, winning medals in each of those major international championships. Davies specialises in long-distance freestyle events. Born in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, Davies swam for Wales at the 2002 and 2006 Commonwealth Games and represented Great Britain at the 2004, 2008 Olympics and 2012 Olympics. As of the end of 2010, he held the British Records in the 400-, 800- and 1500-metre freestyle events.
|Full name||David Michael Rhys Davies|
|National team||Great Britain|
|Born||3 March 1985|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||84 kg (185 lb; 13.2 st)|
|Club||City of Cardiff|
At the 2003 European Junior Championships he won a gold medal. At the 2004 Olympics, he won the bronze medal in the men's 1,500m freestyle, in a time of 14:45.95 (a British and European record). He also swam at the 2004 European Championships and the 2005 World Championships.
Davies represented Great Britain at the 2008 Olympics, swimming in both the pool competition and open water race. In the men's 1500m freestyle race, he finished 6th. In the open-water 10K race in Beijing, Davies finished second in the new Olympic event. Shortly after finishing the event, there was concern for Davies' state of health as First Aid staff rushed to stretcher him off for medical attention. Davies told the BBC shortly afterward: "For the last part of it I was delirious, I wanted it so bad. I've given it everything – the stretcher at the end was a bit mad but I've got something to show for it. I felt a bit violated to be honest, people swimming all over me, and the last lap was a real struggle.".
Personal bests and records heldEdit
- Long course (50 m)
|400 m freestyle||3:45.24||NR||16 Mar 2009||British Championships||Sheffield, England|||
|800 m freestyle||7:44.32||NR||29 Jul 2009||World Championships||Rome, Italy|||
|1500 m freestyle||14:45.95||NR||21 Aug 2004||Olympic Games||Athens, Greece|||
- Short course (25 m)
|400 m freestyle||3:45.08||12 Dec 2005||European SC Championships||Trieste, Italy|
|800 m freestyle||7:49.06||14 Nov 2008||British Universities SC Championships||Sheffield, England|
|1500 m freestyle||14:32.56||NR||11 Dec 2004||European SC Championships||Vienna, Austria|||
- "BBC SPORT – Olympics – Davies retains British swim title". BBC Sport. 20 March 2009. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "David Davies". BBC. August 2009. Retrieved 29 April 2010.
- "David Davies profile at British Olympics Association". Retrieved 13 April 2008.
- Lord, Craig (21 August 2008). "Swimmer David Davies wins silver medal for Britain". The Times. London. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "FINA World Open Water Championships". Archived from the original on 29 August 2012.
- "Jackson claims new world record". BBC News. 16 March 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- "Davies Lowers British Record". British Swimming. 27 June 2009. Retrieved 29 June 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Davies grabs a bronze". The Observer Sport Pages. 22 August 2004. p. 3.
- Craig Lord (12 December 2004). "Payne is top of the class". Sunday Times. p. 22.