David Alvarez (actor)
David Alvarez in New York City
May 11, 1994
Alvarez was born David Alvarez-Gonzalez in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to Cuban parents. His father, David Alvarez-Carbonell, is a professor of biology and chemistry, while his mother, Yanek, is an actress and director of theater. His first languages were French and Spanish. He moved to San Diego with his family when his father took a job at The Scripps Research Institute.
David began taking classical ballet more seriously at the California Ballet. In 2005, Alvarez received a full merit scholarship to the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at the American Ballet Theatre (ABT) and his family relocated to New York City. While at ABT, Alvarez danced feature roles in The Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center Opera House and The Sleeping Beauty at the Metropolitan Opera House. Currently, he continues his ballet training at ABT.
To complement his dancing and acting skills, Alvarez has been training in classical piano, since 2006, at the 92nd Street Y School of Music, where he was awarded the Recanati-Kaplan merit scholarship.
Alvarez is one of the three boys originally cast to play Billy in the Broadway production of Billy Elliot the Musical, along with Trent Kowalik and Kiril Kulish. He needed to study tap, acrobatics, voice and acting for the role and spent July 2007 through March 2008 preparing. Billy Elliot the Musical began previews in New York on October 1 and officially opened on November 13, 2008. His first preview performance was on October 2, 2008. He played his final performance on January 3, 2010.
Alvarez has been featured on Live with Regis and Kelly, The View, Sunday Morning on CBS News, The Today Show, Canada AM on CTV, CBC News, Despierta America on Univision, and at the 62nd Tony Awards ceremony.
- Globe and Mail. Young Montrealer wins Tony Award. Printed June 7, 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2009.
- ‘Weird’ Coincidence Links City Tech To Hit Broadway Show ‘Billy Elliot’ Newswise, 22 September 2009
- "David Álvarez, 14, goes Broadway". nydailynews.com.
- "All applause for Alvarez". winnipegsun.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-03-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Broadway Billys Announced", Official Billy Elliot website
- First Performance Playbill
-  "Broadway.com"
- Brantley, Ben. In Hard Times, Born to Pirouette (to Elton John) at the Imperial Theater The New York Times
- La Rocco, Claudia. An Array Of Styles, Assembled For a Cause The New York Times
- "Theater review: 'Billy Elliot' on Broadway". latimes.com. 13 November 2008.
- Tony Nominations[permanent dead link]
- Kourlas, Gia (April 24, 2015). "David Alvarez on 'Billy Elliot,' the Army, and 'On the Town'". The New York Times.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 14, 2019). "Steven Spielberg's 'West Side Story' Finds Its Maria, Anita, Bernardo & Chino". Deadline Hollywood.