Dantumadiel (West Frisian pronunciation; Dutch: Dantumadeel [ˈdɑntʏmaːˌdeːl] (listen)) is a municipality in the province of Friesland in the Netherlands. Dantumadiel is a rural municipality characterized by agriculture.
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Klaas Agricola|
|• Total||87.53 km2 (33.80 sq mi)|
|• Land||84.66 km2 (32.69 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.87 km2 (1.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|• Density||224/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
9067, 9100–9114, 9269–9272
|Area code||0511, 0519, 058|
The first time Dantumadiel is mentioned was in a document from 1242. At that time Dantumadiel, or Donthmadeil as it was then known, was a part of the Winninghe district, the northern part of Oostergo. The grietenij (municipality) Dantumadiel was led by a grietman (mayor) who was holding office in Rinsumageast and Dantumawâld. The Dutch Municipalities Act of 1851 (Dutch: Gemeentewet van 1851) abolished the grietenijen, which automatically became gemeenten (municipalities) headed by a mayor.
The Dantumadiel municipality is composed of 11 towns with a total of 19,030 inhabitants in 2014; the towns and their 2014 populations are listed in the table.
Source: Website Dantumadiel municipality
* Including Feanwâldsterwâl
- Damwâld (Dantumawâld and Moarrewâld) and Rinsumageast, are home to medieval churches.
- The villages Broeksterwâld (Grutte Mûne and De Broekmolen) Rinsumageast and Readtsjerk are home to mills.
- The Skierstins a medieval fortified house in Feanwâlden.
De Grote Molen, Broeksterwâld, built in 1887
- Maria Petronella Woesthoven (1760 in Dantumawoude – 1830) a Dutch poet
- Tjeerd Pasma (1904 in Rinsumageast – 1944) a Dutch modern pentathlete, competed at the 1928 Summer Olympics
- Piet Jongeling (1909 in Broeksterwâld – 1985) journalist, politician and children's books writer
- Theun de Vries (1907 in Feanwâlden – 2005) writer and poet
- Jannes van der Wal (1956 in Driezum – 1996) a Dutch/Frisian draughts player
- Syb van der Ploeg (born 1966 in Dokkum) musician and composer
- Theo Pijper (born 1980 in Dokkum) a Dutch motorcycle speedway rider in the UK
The Dantumadiel municipal government consists of a municipal council, board of aldermen and the mayor. Klaas Agricola, (Dutch Wiki) has been the mayor of Dantumadiel since December 2017.
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Dantumadiel. Archived from the original on 13 October 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 9104BR". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Taalunie (2019). "Friese namen" (in Dutch). Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "Definitieve lijst Frysktalige straatnamen". Archived from the original on 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "Gemeente Dantumadiel - Dorpen". Retrieved 2014-01-01.[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dantumadiel.|