Daily devotionals have a long tradition in religious communities, with the earliest known Christian example being the Gælic Feliré written in Ireland in the Ninth Century. They tend to be associated with a daily time of prayer and meditation.
Traditionally daily devotionals came in the format of a book, with one reading passage for each day. With the advent of online content, daily devotionals come in multiple formats including blogs, websites, and emails. There continues to be a multitude of devotional books and calendars, in addition to numerous online devotionals, that are tailored to a variety of recipient, denomination, or view.
- Lippy, Charles H. (5 July 2000). American Religious Culture in the Twentieth Century. M.E. Sharpe. p. 100. ISBN 9780765638588.
In the early 1990s, for example, the Upper Room reported a bimonthly circulation of around 2 million; Our Daily Bread claimed a bimonthly circulation of 7 million.
- Hudson, Robert (ed.) (2004) The Christian Writer's Manual of Style: Updated and Expanded Edition Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Mich., p.176, ISBN 0-310-48771-4
- Tolstoy, Lev N. (1908) Круг чтения: избранныя мысли многих писателей об истинѣ, жизни и поведении (Krug Chteniia, The Reading Circle) A compendium of edifying readings for each day of the year, culled by Lev Tolstoy from the writings of various cultures; published in English as: Tolstoy, Lev (1997)A calendar of wisdom: daily thoughts to nourish the soul (translated by Peter Sekirin) Scribner, New York, ISBN 0-684-83793-5; mentioned as a classic in Dobychin, Leonid; Borden, Richard C. and Belova, Natalia (2005) Encounters with Lise and Other Stories Northwestern University Press, Evanston, Illinois, p. 155, ISBN 0-8101-1972-2
- Chambers, Oswald (1927) My utmost for His Highest; selections for every day F.A. Thorpe, Leicester, OCLC 3987736; 84 known editions; cited in B., Dave (1998) Good Morning!: Quiet Time, Morning Watch, Meditation, and Early A.A. Paradise Research Publications, Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, pp. 91-92, ISBN 1-885803-22-2; and McCasland, David (1993) Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God Discovery House, Grand Rapids, Mich., ISBN 0-929239-75-X
- Chambers, Oswald My Utmost for His Highest, full text