Daddy (1989 film)
Daddy (1989) is a television film made for Doordarshan. Directed by Mahesh Bhatt, this film marked the acting debut of his daughter Pooja Bhatt. The film boasts of spectacular performances by its lead actors Anupam Kher and Manohar Singh. It has a famous ghazal "Aaina mujhse meri pehli si surat maange" sung by Talat Aziz. Coincidentally, Talat Aziz was offered a movie Dhun which was directed by Mahesh Bhatt. However, the movie has not released till date.
|Directed by||Mahesh Bhatt|
|Produced by||Mukesh Bhatt|
|Written by||Suraj Sanim|
|Music by||Rajesh Roshan|
|08 February, 1989|
This movie begins with an image of star, Alex Ramos. Slowly as the story progresses, more facts about the reason of his alcoholism come to light, and he is able to overcome them eventually with the help of Pooja's love and her support.
A theatrical adaptation of Daddy, directed by Dinesh Gautam was staged in 2018 with Imran Zahid in the lead role.
- 1991 Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance: Anupam Kher
- 1991 Filmfare Best Dialogue Award: Surah Sanim
- 1991 Filmfare Award for Lux New Face of the Year: Pooja Bhatt
- 1989 - National Film Award - Special Jury Award: Anupam Kher
Kher received his first National Film Award for this film.
- Kaushal, Sweta (17 June 2018). "On Father's Day, revisiting Mahesh Bhatt's autobiographical film Daddy". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Sood, Parina (6 May 2018). "Battles with alcoholism: 'Daddy' a chance for Pooja, Mahesh Bhatt to talk about their own demons". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Goyal, Divya (17 April 2018). "Pooja Bhatt On The Irony Of Having Saved' An Alcoholic Father In Daddy Only To Battle Drinking Problem Herself". NDTV. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Verma, Sukanya (15 January 2014). "Classic revisited: Daddy, Mahesh Bhatt's touching fairy-tale". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 November 2018.