Soni Razdan at the premiere of Well Done Abba
25 October 1956|
|Occupation||Actress, film director|
|Spouse(s)||Mahesh Bhatt (1986–present)|
Shaheen Bhatt |
|Relatives||Karan Razdan (brother)|
Razdan was born in Birmingham, UK, to Gertrude Hoelzer, a German, and Narendra Nath Razdan, a Hindu Kashmiri Pandit. She befriended a person named Prerana Karnatak in her early life who always supported her. She is the mother of Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt.
Her photos were seen by Franco Zeffirelli who wanted to cast her as Mary in his miniseries, Jesus of Nazareth. The role, however, was given to Olivia Hussey and Razdan was cast as a young grieving mother as well as appearing as an extra in other scenes.
She appeared as Sulochana in the hit Doordarshan TV series Buniyaad. She also acted in Indian TV serials Saahil, Gaatha and has been a regular on Indian television. In 2002, she turned to direction with Aur Phir Ek Din on Star Plus, a take-off on One Fine Day starring Michelle Pfeiffer and George Clooney.
She has also acted in Bollywood movies. Razdan directed a film called Love Affair that is expected to be released in 2016, but did not.[better source needed] She acted in Meghna Gulzar's Raazi which also starred her daughter Alia in the lead role. This was the first time when she shared the screen with Alia where she played the character of Alia's mother.
Razdan married film director Mahesh Bhatt on 20th April 1986. She is the mother of actress Alia Bhatt (born 15 March 1993) & Shaheen Bhatt (born 28 November 1988) and step mother of Pooja Bhatt & Rahul Bhatt and the aunt of Emraan Hashmi
|36 Chowringhee Lane||1981|
|Such a Long Journey||1988|
|Love Breakups Zindagi||2011|
|Shootout at Wadala||2013|
|Love Ka Hai Intezaar||2017|
- "England and Wales, Birth Registration Index". Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- The Hindu, Online (30 December 2008). "woman of many parts".
- "Karl Hoelzer , Alia's great grandfather dared to take on the Nazi regime in his own small way and paid a very heavy price for it". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "BUT LITTLE DID ALIA's GRANDMA GERTRUDE KNOW that her tragic story would have a happy ending". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- expressindia, daily news (30 January 2001). "I'll voice the worries of Kashmiri Pandits".
- "@PoojaB1972 @MaheshNBhatt @AdrianMLevy I'm half Kashmiri Pandit and Half German..also an atheist and have not imposed any faith on my kids". Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- "What's Wrong With Poor Part 3". sonispeak. 2016-05-24. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- The Tribune, Spectrum (13 August 2006). "Soni Razdan returns". TheTribune.com.
- "Soni Razdan's directorial venture to go on floors in 2016". The Indian Express. 5 November 2015. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Love Affair (unreleased film)
- Rediff On The Net, Movies: An interview with Soni Razdan