Corey Devon Liuget (born March 18, 1990) is an American football defensive tackle for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Illinois, and was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Liuget with the Los Angeles Chargers in 2016
|No. 94 – Buffalo Bills|
|Born:||March 18, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||300 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Hialeah (Hialeah, Florida)|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 18|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 11, 2019|
During his three-year Illinois career, Liuget had 125 tackles, 25.5 TFLs and 8.5 sacks Liuget had a career year in 2010, earning Second-team All-Big Ten accolades after recording 63 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hurries and three passes broken up. In 2009, he played in all 12 games, making four starts. In 2008, he ranked fifth in the Big Ten in fumbles recovered and played in 11 games and started two at defensive tackle as a true-freshman.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 1⁄8 in
|4.97 s||1.73 s||2.86 s||4.68 s||7.48 s||27 1⁄2 in
|8 ft 6 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
San Diego / Los Angeles ChargersEdit
In his rookie season, Liuget played in 15 games, including 13 starts, and recorded 19 total tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble. The team’s first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, Liuget had to grow up in a hurry as the NFL Lockout wiped out what would have been his first offseason. Instead of working out with teammates and studying with coaches, Liuget was forced to work alone. When the lockout ended and the season rolled around, injuries hammered the Chargers’ defensive line and the young rookie was pressed into immediate duty. Liuget ended up playing in 15 games with 13 starts.
In 2012, Liuget had a breakout season: the 2nd year man started all 16 games and had a tremendous impact on the Chargers defense.
Liuget went on to lead San Diego’s defensive line in sacks (7), tackles (61), tackles for loss (15) and passes defended (9) in 2012, and his nine passes defended were second in the NFL among defensive linemen behind Houston’s J. J. Watt’s 15. Liuget’s improved conditioning also contributed to a strong finish to the season as he tallied five sacks in the team’s last six games, including a career-high two in the Chargers’ December 23 win over the New York Jets. At the end of the season, he was named Chargers Defensive Player of Year (David Griggs Memorial Award). He was also on USA Today's All-Joe team.
In 2013, Liuget went on to lead the defense with 5.5 sacks. He also added 42 tackles, 2 passes defended, 1 field goal blocked, and a forced fumble.
In the 2014 season, Liuget got his first NFL touchdown against the San Francisco 49ers after recovering a fumble forced by Dwight Freeney and Ricardo Mathews. Liuget finished the season with 4.5 sacks 57 tackles, 2 passes defended, and 2 forced fumbles.
Liuget signed a five-year, $58.5 million extension with the Chargers, with $30 million guaranteed on June 9, 2015. On December 12, 2015, he was placed on injured reserve.
On March 23, 2018, Liuget was suspended four games due to a PED violation. In Week 11, Liuget suffered a torn quad tendon and was ruled out for the season. He was placed on injured reserve on November 21, 2018.
On February 13, 2019, the Chargers declined the option on Liuget's contract, making him a free agent.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 2, 2013. Retrieved January 22, 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Chicago Breaking Sports News — Chicago Tribune".
- Dagger. "2011 NFL Combine Results". postgameheroes.com. Archived from the original on August 28, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2011.
- "2011 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- fiona (August 15, 2013). "San Diego Chargers DE Corey Liuget Shoulder Injury Watch".
- "Corey Liuget — San Diego Chargers - 2016 Player Profile — Rotoworld.com".
- Wesseling, Chris (June 9, 2015). "Bolts, Corey Liuget agree on multi-year extension". NFL.com. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Bergman, Jeremy (March 23, 2018). "Corey Liuget suspended 4 games for PEDs". NFL.com.
- Alper, Josh (November 19, 2018). "Corey Liuget out for season". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.
- Henne, Ricky (November 21, 2018). "Chargers Claim T.Y. McGill Off Waivers; Place Corey Liuget on IR". Chargers.com.
- Gordon, Grant (February 13, 2019). "Chargers won't exercise option on DT Corey Liuget". NFL.com.
- "Raiders sign Liuget and Allen-Williams; release DePaola and place Doug Martin on IR". Raiders.com. August 25, 2019.
- "Raiders sign trio of players to the active roster". Raiders.com. October 30, 2019.
- Brown, Chris (November 5, 2019). "Bills sign free agent DT Corey Liuget". BuffaloBills.com.
- "Corey Liuget Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Corey Liuget". Los Angeles Chargers. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- "Corey Liuget". NFL.com. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- "Newest Charger Meets Local Media Corey Liuget Selected By San Diego In 1st Round Of 2011 NFL Draft". Retrieved March 10, 2014.