Connemara Airport (Irish: Aerphort Chonamara) or Connemara Regional Airport (Aerfort Réigiúnach Chonamara) (IATA: NNR, ICAO: EICA) is located at Inverin, in the Connemara region, 15 nautical miles (28 km; 17 mi) west of the city of Galway. It is also known as Spiddal Airport, Inverin Airport, or Minna Airport (Aerfort na Minne), a name also used by Minna Airport in Minna, Nigeria.
Aerfort na Minne
|Operator||Galway Aviation Services Ltd.|
|Elevation AMSL||70 ft / 21 m|
Aer Arann Islands, a division of Aer Arann, operates Britten-Norman Islander aircraft to the Aran Islands of Inisheer (Irish: Inis Oírr), Inishmaan (Irish: Inis Meáin) and Inishmore (Irish: Inis Mór) off the coast of County Galway in Ireland.
In June 2018, the airline announced that it intends to terminate its PSO contract and cease all flights on 6 December 2018, two years before the contract was due to expire. A deal has been agreed with Aer Arann and the government that the airport will be made available provision of an air service until 2021. This development is understood to be due to a dispute between the airline and the government relating to charges for flights that are not covered by the contract.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- On 5 July 2007 a Cessna 208 crashed on approach to the airport due to rough weather conditions, killing two and injuring seven. The plane was a charter plane, and was returning from a day trip to Inis Meáin.
- Aerodrome Information - VFR Aerodromes and Heliports Archived June 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Aer Arann Islands: About Us
- Oileáin Aer Árann: Maidir Linne (Irish)
- Hinkelman, Edward G. (2008). Dictionary of International Trade (8th ed.). Tribun EU/World Trade Press. p. 542. ISBN 9788073997595.
- "Airport Codes". U.S. Department of Transportation. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "AIR-PO-IE". Amadeus CRS. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- The Rough Guide to Ireland. Rough Guides. 2015. p. PT518. ISBN 9780241236208.
- Town and Countyr Homes Association 1997. Town & Country Homes. 1997. p. 174. ISBN 9780952614111.
- Campbell, Georgina. Georgina Campbell Jameson Guide Ireland 2004. p. 252. ISBN 9781903164105.
- Siggins, Lorna (6 June 2018). "Aer Arann to quit contract for Aran Islands two years ahead of time". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2 September 2018.