Comali (transl. Clown) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language comedy film produced by Vels Film International. Also known by its working title during production, JR24, the film is written and directed by Pradeep Ranganathan in his directorial debut and stars Jayam Ravi, Kajal Aggarwal and Samyuktha Hegde. The film marks the first collaboration between Ravi and Aggarwal, and it marks the second collaboration between Ravi and Hiphop Tamizha, after the 2015 film Thani Oruvan. The film was released on 15 August 2019. Comali follows Ravi, a coma patient who has missed 16 years of his life and struggles to adapt to the new improved world.
|Directed by||Pradeep Ranganathan|
|Produced by||Ishari K. Ganesh|
|Written by||Pradeep Ranganathan|
K. S. Ravikumar
|Music by||Hiphop Tamizha|
|Cinematography||Richard M. Nathan|
|Edited by||Pradeep E. Ragav|
|Distributed by||Sakthi Film Factory|
|Box office||₹50 crore|
Ravi is a happy-go-lucky school student whose father brought him up with a lot of morals like treating everyone fair. Ravi is in love with his classmate Nikitha and has tried proposing to her, but to no avail. After gathering courage and just as he is about to propose her, Dharmaraj takes Nikitha as human shield, while escaping after killing a rival gangster. Ravi gets hit by a truck while trying to save her and ends up in coma.
After 16 years, Ravi wakes up much to the awe of his family and childhood best-friend Mani. He finds that things have changed a lot in the past years, including the fact that his father died, his sister married Mani, and has three children with him. The doctor who treated Ravi is shocked to see him alive and well, tells Mani to fulfil any of his wishes, since he has missed 16 years of his life.
Ravi expresses his wish to see Nikitha and goes to her house. There, it is revealed that she is married and her husband is the doctor who treated Ravi. Nikitha, not wanting to embarrass her husband lies that she did not like him and would have rejected his proposal that day. Ravi seeks his friend's help find a girl via matrimony website. Ravi instantly takes a liking to Ritika whom he saw during his niece's birthday party. They both exchange numbers and she agrees to a date with Ravi. Unfortunately, Ravi still innocent 16-year-old at heart, mistaking her pout as her consent to kiss and kisses her. Ritika not expecting this slaps him in the middle of the road. This gets blown-out-of proportion by the public and media. His sister scolds Ravi for causing them more problems in addition to their debt problem. After searching for job he gets none since he didn't graduate school. So, he becomes a security guard at a museum where Rithika works, who tells him that she has forgiven him after knowing his innocence. After thwarting a robbery, Ravi sees a statue that he modified to gift Nikitha and realizes that it belongs to his family which is revealed to be a royal one. However, it is revealed that Dharmaraj owns the statue who claims that he is the last royal heir using the statue as a proof which angers Ravi.
Ravi devises a plan to get evidence that the statue is not really Dharmaraj's, but his own. With help from Rithika and Mani, he gets a button camera to live stream his conversation with Dharmaraj. In the meantime, he also tries to familiarize himself with the society and uses social media platforms to comically question what happened to the society during his 16 years Coma. Ravi's plan goes well, until a sweat droplet short circuits the electronic circuit. Ravi suddenly gets reminded of a group-photo during his school days and tries to retrieve it from Nikitha. But Nikitha's husband flashes the photo negative in light erasing any proof. Disappointed, but determined, Ravi thinks of another plan. Ravi along with the help of Nikitha and her husband have decides to defeat Dharmaraj without the use of technology and instead using human emotions, after Ravi explains that people are overdependent of technology and are getting addicted to it. He says that they are losing their reality for living in the virtual world.
Ravi plans to get inside Dharmaraj's house pretending to be one of his distant relatives while using Nikita's husband as a scout. Ravi, Mani and Nikitha goes to Dharamraj's house and distracts Dharamraj's pregnant wife, whom Ravi has met before at the hospital when she goes inside the kitchen. Ravi uses this opportunity to steal the original statue and replace it with the duplicate. However, he is caught by Dharmaraj's wife, who attempts to inform her husband. However, when they escape went into she slips and goes to labour. Ravi, not wanting to cause the death of the unborn child helps her to get to the hospital, with Mani assisting. On the way to the hospital, the auto they are in gets stuck in flood due to heavy storm. So, Ravi decides to carry her to the hospital and the people on the street come together to help them. Ravi realises that humanity still exists despite all the changes in the society.
Meanwhile, Dharmaraj hears about his wife and rushes to the hospital. There, he learned that Ravi had helped his wife and that he is blessed with a baby boy. He thanks Ravi and gives him back the statue. In the mid-credits scene, it is revealed that Ravi's emotional outburst at Nikitha's house was filmed by Rithika and has gone viral across social media earning him money while realising that he had become a YouTube celebrity. Mani's debts have been paid-back and Rithika and Ravi are together, with Ravi mentioning that they are now "one big family".
- Jayam Ravi as Ravi N.
- Kajal Aggarwal as Reethika Mohan
- Samyuktha Hegde as Nikitha Krishnamurthy (née R.)
- K. S. Ravikumar as MLA Dharmaraj "Dharma"
- Yogi Babu as Mani, Ravi's childhood friend
- Sha Ra as Doctor Krishnamurthy, Nikitha's husband
- RJ Ananthi as Divya, Ravi's sister and Mani's wife
- Kavita Radheshyam as the owner of bajji (fried fritter) shop
- Aadukalam Naren as Ravi's father
- Praveena as Ravi's mother
- Vinodhini Vaidyanathan as Dharmaraj's wife
- Ponnambalam as Gaaja, the Madras don
- Varun as Nagaraj, a hacker
- KPY Ramar as Dharmaraj's sidekick
- Bijili Ramesh as Dharmaraj's watchman
- Prashanth Rangaswamy as a TV interviewer
- Manikandan Vaidyanathan as a loan collection agent
- Mannai Sadhik as a resident
- Snehan as Royal King (cameo appearance)
- Pradeep Ranganathan as Joseph, an auto driver (cameo appearance)
Jayam Ravi lost 20 kilograms (44 lb) for the film, which was shot in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, on a specially erected school set. Bollywood and Kannada actress Kavita Radheshyam was brought in to play a role. Yogi Babu sported a ponytail for his look. Hiphop Tamizha agreed to compose the film's music, while Richard M. Nathan and Pradeep E. Ragav were selected as cinematographer and editor respectively.
The movie trailer was released on 3 August 2019.
Aspiring film director Krishnamoorthy accused the film producers of plagiarising his script, 25+25=25, which, too, was about a man who wakes up from a coma. Krishnamoorthy had registered his script with the South Indian Film Writers Association (SIFWA) in 2014 and pitched the script to several sources, including script agents, whom he speculated might have caused its leak. SIFWA compared Krishnamoorthy's script with Comali and determined that it was the same story. Krishnamoorthy said, "A twelve-member body in the Writers' Union, headed by a renowned director like Bhagyaraj, would not have decided in my favour if they thought only the premise of both stories were the same." To settle the matter, Comali producers agreed to add a card before the film that would credit Krishnamoorthy as the source of the story. However, Comali director Ranganathan denied plagiarising the script, saying, "The story of a man waking up from coma after years has been used time and again..." "We both could have come up with the same idea. The script of Comali is something I had conceptualised even during my short film days."
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||14 August 2019|
|Hiphop Tamizha chronology|
The film's soundtrack is composed by Hiphop Tamizha, marking their second collaboration with Jayam Ravi after Thani Oruvan. Lyrics are written by Hiphop Tamizha, Kabilan Vairamuthu, Pradeep Ranganathan, Gana Kavi, and Mobin. Rahul Nambiar and Jayam Ravi, recorded one song for this film.
|1.||"Paisa Note"||Hiphop Tamizha, Pradeep Ranganathan, Gana Kavi, Mobin||Hiphop Tamizha, Koushik Krish||3:04|
|2.||"Yaara Comali"||Hiphop Tamizha||Hiphop Tamizha||3:18|
|3.||"Oliyum Oliyum"||Kabilan Vairamuthu||Sathya Narayan, Ajay Krishnaa||4:45|
|4.||"Hi Sonna Pothum"||Pradeep Ranganathan||Kaushik Krish||3:50|
|5.||"Nanba Nanba"||Hiphop Tamizha||Sanjith Hegde||2:33|
The film was released on 15 August 2019 coinciding with Indian Independence Day.
The critics praised Ravi's acting who distinctly portrayed the role of a 16-year-old school student and a 32-year-old comatose survivor. They praised the comical duo of the lead and Yogi Babu in the first half but criticized the melodrama in the second half of the film. Times of India rated 2.5/5, stating that "An entertaining first half didn't have an equally engaging latter half because of some melodramatic scenes." Behindwoods rated 3/5,stating that "Jayam Ravi and Yogi Babu's chemistry bolsters Comali, an entertaining film with a good mix of fun and emotions." Sify rated 3/5,stating that "The first half of Comali is super engaging, the second half goes in various directions and moves away from the core theme. The climax looks forced although the message on humanity stays relevant." Firstpost rated 3/5, stating that "Comali is packaged as a jolly-feel-good entertainer, laced with emotions and nostalgia."
Comali collected ₹50 crore (US$7.2 million) at the worldwide box office.
Boney Kapoor has announced a remake of the film starring Arjun Kapoor in Hindi. Bayview Projects, his production company has acquired the remake rights of the film for all the languages including Hindi.
- "COMALI | British Board of Film Classification". bbfc.co.uk.
- LM, Kaushik (6 September 2019). "BB #Comali has grossed 41+ CR in TN so far.. Chasing Thani Oruvan now, eyeing to become @actor_jayamravi's career best TN grosser". @LMKMovieManiac. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- "Jayam Ravi's Comali declared a box office success, further securing his position as a commercially viable actor- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 22 August 2019. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "புதிய படத்துக்காக 18 கிலோ வெயிட் குறைச்ச ஜெயம் ரவி". NDTV Tamil Cinema (in Tamil). Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- Siddarthsrinivas. "A whacky title for Jayam Ravi's school boy drama!". in.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "A whacky title for Jayam Ravi's school boy drama!". in.com. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Kavita Radheshyam shoots for Jayam Ravi's next". Sandalwood Cinema. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "'Comali' Plagiarism Charges: Pa Krishnamoorthy Is Unhappy With The Title Card That Credits Him - Silverscreen India". Silverscreen India. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Writers' Union resolves Comali plagiarism issue". DT Next. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- G, Ezekiel Majello (3 October 2019). "No more stories to tell?". Deccan Chronicle.
- ""COMALI IS BASED ON MY STORY!"- ASSISTANT DIRECTOR ALLEGES STORY THEFT". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Comali - Official Trailer (Tamil) - Jayam Ravi, Kajal Aggarwal - Hiphop Tamizha". YouTube. Sony Music South. 3 August 2019.
- "Comali movie review: Jayam Ravi carries a largely lighthearted film on his shoulders, as both a student and a joker- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- S, Srivatsan (15 August 2019). "'Comali' review: Jayam Ravi, Yogi Babu hit jackpot in a convoluted film". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "COMALI MOVIE REVIEW". The Times of India. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "COMALI MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Comali review: A Watchable Entertainer". Sify. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Comali movie review: Jayam Ravi carries a largely lighthearted film on his shoulders, as both a student and a joker". Firstpost. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Comali box office collection: 'Jayam' Ravi's film crosses this coveted mark!". Zee Business. 27 September 2019. Retrieved 20 October 2019.
- "Arjun Kapoor to star in Hindi remake of Jayam Ravi's 'Comali'". The Hindu. 21 September 2019. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- ChennaiSeptember 21, India Today Web Desk; September 21, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 13:55. "Arjun Kapoor to star in Hindi remake of Jayam Ravi's Comali. Details inside". India Today.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Boney Kapoor Acquires Remake Rights of Tamil Superhit 'Comali'". News18.