Chief Justice of Pakistan
The Chief Justice of Pakistan (initials as CJP) is the head of the court system of Pakistan (the judicature branch of government) and the chief judge of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. The Chief Justice is the senior most of 17 Senior Justices of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. From 1947 until 1960, the chief justice and senior justices were known as Federal Judge.
|Chief Justice of Pakistan
منصف اعظم پاکستان – Mansaf-e-Āzam
(When addressed directly in court)
|Seat||Islamabad and Lahore|
|Nominator||Prime Minister of Pakistan|
|Appointer||President of Pakistan|
|Term length||Variable Until age 65|
|Formation||27 June 1949|
|First holder||Abdul Rashid|
(as Federal Chief Justice)
The Chief Justice is the chief administrative officer of the country's court system and the highest judicial officer, ranking immediately above the Chief Justice of the Federal Shariat Court, and is responsible for supervising federal judicial policies, and conducting judicial business in the Supreme Court.
Nomination for the appointment of the Chief Justice is made by Prime Minister of Pakistan, and final appointments are confirmed by the President of Pakistan. Presiding over the oral arguments before the court, the Chief Justice has significant agenda-setting power over meetings of the Supreme Court. In modern tradition[clarification needed], the Chief Justice has the ceremonial duty of administering the oath of office of the President of Pakistan.
List of Chief JusticesEdit
Pakistan's longest-serving Chief Justice was Mohammad Haleem for total of 3,205 days. The shortest-serving Chief Justice was Muhammad Shahabuddin, who died in office 9 days after taking oath. Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry is the only Justice to have served non-consecutive terms, for a total of three terms with total of 2,480 days.
|Number||Name||Period of office||Length of term (days)||Bar||Appointed by|
|1||Sir Mian Abdul Rashid||27 June 1949||29 June 1954||1,826||Lahore High Court||Government of India Act 1935|
|2||Muhammad Munir||29 June 1954||2 May 1960||2,134||Lahore High Court||Malik Ghulam Muhammad|
|3||Muhammad Shahabuddin†||3 May 1960||12 May 1960||9||Madras High Court||Ayub Khan|
|4||A.R. Cornelius||13 May 1960||29 February 1968||2,848||Lahore High Court|
|5||S.A. Rahman||1 March 1968||3 June 1968||94||Lahore High Court|
|6||Fazal Akbar||4 June 1968||17 November 1968||166||East Pakistan High Court|
|7||Hamoodur Rahman†||18 November 1968||31 October 1975||2,538||Calcutta High Court|
|8||Yaqub Ali||1 November 1975||22 September 1977||691||Lahore High Court||Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry|
|9||S. Anwarul Haq||23 September 1977||25 March 1981||1,279||Lahore High Court|
|10||Mohammad Haleem||23 March 1981||31 December 1989||3,205||Sindh High Court||Zia-ul-Haq|
|11||Afzal Zullah||1 January 1990||18 April 1993||1,203||Lahore High Court||Ghulam Ishaq Khan|
|12||Nasim Hasan Shah||17 April 1993||14 April 1994||362||Lahore High Court|
|A*||Saad Saud Jan||15 April 1994||4 June 1994||50||Lahore High Court||Farooq Leghari|
|13||Sajjad Ali Shah||5 June 1994||2 December 1997||1,276||Sindh High Court|
|14||Ajmal Mian||27 December 1997||30 June 1999||550||Sindh High Court||Wasim Sajjad|
|15||Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui||1 July 1999||26 January 2000||209||Sindh High Court||Rafiq Tarar|
|16||Irshad Hasan Khan||26 January 2000||6 January 2002||711||Lahore High Court|
|17||Bashir Jehangiri||7 January 2002||31 January 2002||24||Peshawar High Court||Pervez Musharraf|
|18||Sheikh Riaz Ahmad||1 February 2002||31 December 2003||698||Lahore High Court|
|19||Nazim Hussain Siddiqui||31 December 2003||29 June 2005||546||Sindh High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (1st)||29 June 2005||9 March 2007||618||Balochistan High Court|
|A||Javaid Iqbal||9 March 2007||24 March 2007||15||Balochistan High Court|
|A||Rana Bhagwandas||25 March 2007||20 July 2007||87||Sindh High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (2nd)||20 July 2007||3 November 2007||136||Balochistan High Court|
|±||A. H. Dogar||3 November 2007||21 March 2009||504||Sindh High Court|
|20||Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry (3rd)||21 March 2009||11 December 2013||1,726||Balochistan High Court||Asif Ali Zardari|
|21||Tassaduq Hussain Jillani||12 December 2013||6 July 2014||176||Lahore High Court||Mamnoon Hussain|
|22||Nasir-ul-Mulk||7 July 2014||16 August 2015||435||Peshawar High Court|
|23||Jawwad S. Khawaja||17 August 2015||9 September 2015||23||Lahore High Court|
|24||Anwar Zaheer Jamali||10 September 2015||30 December 2016||477||Sindh High Court|
|25||Mian Saqib Nisar||31 December 2016||17 January 2019||747||Lahore High Court|
|26||Asif Saeed Khan Khosa||18 January 2019||20 December 2019||336||Lahore High Court||Arif Alvi|
|27||Gulzar Ahmed||21 December 2019||1 February 2022||773||Sindh High Court||Supreme Court of Pakistan|
|28||Umar Ata Bandial||2 February 2022||16 September 2023||591||Lahore High Court|
|29||Qazi Faez Isa||17 September 2023||25 October 2024||404||Balochistan High Court|
|30||Ijazul Ahsan||26 October 2024||4 August 2025||282||Lahore High Court|
|31||Syed Mansoor Ali Shah||5 August 2025||27 November 2027||844||Lahore High Court|
|32||Munib Akhtar||28 November 2027||13 December 2028||381||Sindh High Court|
|33||Yahya Afridi||14 December 2028||22 January 2030||404||Peshawar High Court|
- Pakistan Business Law Handbook Strategic Information and Laws. Intl Business Pubns USA. 2012. ISBN 1438770715. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Manzoor, Saima; Manzoor, Akif; Manzoor, Eng. Asif (2011). Police in Pakistan. New York, US: Lulu publications co. p. 350. ISBN 110599032X. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Shah, Ralph Braibanti ; foreword by Nasim Hasan (1999). Chief Justice Cornelius of Pakistan : an analysis with letters and speeches (2. impr. ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195790184.
- Article 176 in The Judicature Chapter 2 of Part VII of the Constitution of Pakistan
- Article 175A in Chapter 1: The Courts. Part VII: The Judicature of the Constitution of Pakistan
- Article 175A(12)-175A(13) Chapter 1: The Courts. Part VII: The Judicature of the Constitution of Pakistan
- "Judges Appointment & Court Composition". Islamabad, Pakistan: Supreme Court of Pakistan Press. Archived from the original on 24 March 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Article 178 in the Chapter 2: The Supreme Court of Pakistan of Part VII: The Judicature of Constitution of Pakistan
- Masood, Ahsan. "Names of the Chief Justices of the Supreme Court of Pakistan". Masood and Masood Press. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "The Judicial System of Pakistan" (PDF). Supreme Court of Pakistan. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Justice Asif Saeed Khosa appointed new Chief Justice of Pakistan". The News. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Reporter, The Newspaper's Staff (3 January 2019). "Alvi approves Justice Khosa's appointment as next CJP". Dawn. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Hon'ble Judges". Supreme Court of Pakistan. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Who are the next chief justices?". The News. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- بھٹی, حسیب (16 November 2018). "سپریم کورٹ کے موجودہ 8 ججز چیف جسٹس بنیں گے". Dawn News Television. Retrieved 12 January 2019.