Category:CS1 errors: ISBN
This is a tracking categoryIt is used to build and maintain lists of pages—primarily for the sake of the lists themselves and their use in article and category maintenance. They are not part of the encyclopedia's categorization scheme.
|Administrators: Please do not delete this category even if it is empty!|
This category may be empty occasionally or even most of the time.
This is a tracking category for CS1 citations that have ISBN errors.
|isbn= value: <type>
Citation Style 1 and Citation Style 2 templates that contain
|isbn= are checked to ensure that the ISBN is the proper length (ten or thirteen digits), that the ISBN uses the correct optional separators (simple space or hyphen), and that the final check digit is correct according to the ISBN specification. Only one ISBN is allowed in this field because the whole
|isbn= value is included in the citation's COinS metadata. See also Wikipedia:COinS. More than one ISBN, or characters that are not part of the ISBN, corrupt the COinS metadata and may also corrupt the link to Special:BookSources.
The error message <type> indicator can be:
- length – ISBN is not 10 or 13 digits
- checksum – ISBN has one or more incorrect digits; look for typos and transposition
- invalid character – ISBN has one or more 'digits' that is not in the allowed set appropriate to ISBN length
- invalid prefix – 13-digit ISBNs must begin with '978' or '979'
- invalid form – 10-digit ISBNs with the mis-positioned 'X' character
To resolve this error, ensure that the
|isbn= value is correct, that only one ISBN is used, that the proper optional separators are used, and that no other text is included. Use the 13-digit ISBN when it is available. When a 10-digit ISBN is used, if the check digit is a lowercase 'x', change it to an uppercase 'X'.
- Do not try to resolve the error by simply recalculating the check digit. The check digit is there to check whether the main part of the number is correct. If the ISBN is failing to validate, it is likely that there is a typo in the main part of the number. In this case, recalculating the check digit results in an apparently valid ISBN that leads to the wrong source (or to nowhere).
- If you only have a 10-digit ISBN, do use the number as-is, do not try to convert it to the 13-digit form.
- If the ISBN as printed in your source is refusing to validate, do check both the front matter and the book cover for ISBNs. It is not uncommon for the ISBN to be misprinted in the front matter but correct on the cover.
- Do preview your edit and check that the new ISBN does now link to the correct source.
In very rare cases, publishers have released books with malformed ISBNs. If you are certain that a non-conforming ISBN truly corresponds to the published work, then you can add
|ignore-isbn-error=true to the citation in order to suppress the error message. In many cases, books may have been reissued with a corrected ISBN. Use a corrected ISBN when possible.
Sometimes there are numbers assigned to
|isbn= that appear to be legitimate – length is right, check digit is correct – but that aren't true ISBN numbers. This tool may be helpful.
See also Wikipedia:ISBN.
Pages with this error are automatically placed in Category:CS1 errors: ISBN.[a]
- Pages in the Book talk, Category talk, Draft, Draft talk, Education Program talk, File talk, Help talk, MediaWiki talk, Module talk, Portal talk, Talk, Template talk, TimedText talk, User, User talk, and Wikipedia talk namespaces are not included in the error tracking categories.
Pages in category "CS1 errors: ISBN"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of approximately 240 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).(previous page) (next page)
- Ban (title)
- Barbie and the Three Musketeers
- Draft:Barbie and the Three Musketeers (video game)
- Battle of Marawi
- Bayryasova Kisyakbika
- Benjamin Thompson (architect)
- Bennett H. Young
- Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha
- Bolesław Wieniawa-Długoszowski
- Bond Arms
- Brenda Eichelberger
- Bribery of senior Wehrmacht officers
- British Rail Class 308
- British Rail Class 309
- Taras Bulba-Borovets
- Cabo Touriñán
- Calais Jungle
- K. Callan
- Castle Provincial Park
- Anna Chennault
- Cherukupalle mandal
- Coaches of the London and North Eastern Railway
- Draft:Códice Maya de México
- Dan Cohn-Sherbok
- Edgard Colle
- Collingwood, Ontario
- Community of Latin American and Caribbean States
- Draft:Compromise of Toruń
- Côn Đảo Prison
- Constantine P. Cavafy
- Coronado Center
- Cosmetic industry
- Covert prestige
- Draft:David E. Shaner
- David R. Slavitt
- Draft:Derek Liddington
- Draft:Dewey Crumpler
- Draft:DG3 Rappers- Amber Richhart and Angelia Richhart
- Distance-hereditary graph
- Draft:Divisional Commissioner (Pakistan)
- List of divisions of the People's Liberation Army
- List of Douglas C-47 Skytrain operators
- Le Journal de Mickey
- Draft:Leading U.S Businesses as of 2019
- Lectorium Rosicrucianum
- Li Huayi
- List of aircraft
- List of fact-finding reports on human rights in North Korea
- List of male performers in gay porn films
- List of shipwrecks in January 1827
- Lloyd Williams and Underwood
- Draft:Lynn Saville
- Madrepora oculata
- Maida Vale
- Manihot walkerae
- Mary Daly
- Mathews family (Virginia)
- Matt A. Barreto
- Max Abramovitz
- Maximal independent set
- Medha rishi
- Michele Catti
- Middle management
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21
- Mil Mi-8
- Mir Mosharraf Hossain
- Mkabayi kaJama
- Draft:Mohammad Shaikh
- Moser River, Nova Scotia
- Muhammad Husayn Khan Mushtaq
- Muley Xeque
- Museum of hunting and fishing (Moscow)
- Muu Blanco
- Saint Valentine
- Salim Khan (Shaki khan)
- Draft:Samadhi Vaishaya
- Draft:Samantha Ruth
- Mikhail Samarsky
- Samia Gamal
- Draft:Natori Sana
- Sati (practice)
- Satyanatha Tirtha
- Second term of the presidency of Ferdinand Marcos
- Draft:Sherwood Ross
- Draft:Sisir Kumar Bose
- Slavery in Africa
- Draft:Socialism in Argentina
- Software development effort estimation
- Sophie Albrecht
- Spice Lisp
- Sri Lanka Artillery
- Draft:Stefan Ćertić
- Draft:Steinbeck Literary Trai
- Stephen Stills 2