Casey Silver (born Andrew Silver; May 5, 1955) is an American film executive and producer.
Former chairman and chief executive officer of Universal Pictures, Casey Silver began his career in the motion picture industry as a screenwriter. After serving as assistant to director Adrian Lyne on Flashdance, he became director of development and production for Simpson-Bruckheimer Productions, where he was instrumental in the development of the original Beverly Hills Cop and Top Gun.
In his role at Universal, Silver was responsible for all divisions of Universal Pictures, including its production, marketing and distribution operations. He supervised all activities worldwide concerning Universal's partnerships with United International and domestic distribution activities through its partnership with October Films. Additionally, Silver oversaw Universal Studios Home Video, Universal Pictures Animation and Visual Effects, and Universal Family & Home Entertainment Production, which included Universal Cartoon Studios.
During his tenure at Universal, the studio developed, produced and released the critically acclaimed films Schindler's List, Shakespeare in Love, Apollo 13, Casino, Jurassic Park, Out of Sight, Field of Dreams, Twelve Monkeys, In the Name of the Father, Do the Right Thing, Scent of a Woman, Born on the Fourth of July, Parenthood, Midnight Run, American Pie and Gladiator.
Prior to joining Universal, Silver served as TriStar Pictures vice president of production, and was then promoted to senior vice president of production.
Silver served as executive producer on Netflix's first original limited series Godless, a seven-part cinematic event from Golden Globe-nominated screenwriter and director Scott Frank (Out of Sight, Get Shorty). Nominated for 11 Primetime Emmy Awards, the lauded series won in three categories, including: Supporting Actress for Merritt Wever, and Supporting Actor for Jeff Daniels. Godless aired on Netflix in 2017.
Next on the big screen from his production company, Casey Silver Productions, is The Highwaymen. A Netflix Originals release, the film is directed by John Lee Hancock, and stars Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson as the Texas Rangers brought out of retirement to stop the infamous crime duo Bonnie and Clyde. Other feature films produced by Casey Silver Productions include Hidalgo, Ladder 49, Leatherheads and The Forbidden Kingdom.
Silver is also a founding member and CEO of the start-up PodOp. The company's first trans media project, Mosaic, was executive produced by Silver. Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Sharon Stone, Mosaic aired on HBO in 2017.
- "Headline: COMPANY TOWN : Casey Silver Is on Deck : Low-Profile Executive May Be Next to Step Up to MCA's Plate". Los Angeles Times. October 20, 1995. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Silver Tapped Chair At MCA Motion Pix". Variety. November 26, 1995. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Netflix's gory but glorious 'Godless' is the Western we've all been waiting for". The Washington Post. November 22, 2017. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Emmys: 'Godless' Producer on Why the Series Didn't Work as a Feature". The Hollywood Reporter. August 2, 2018. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Mosaic and the new frontiers of narrative". Boston Globe. November 10, 2017. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Steven Soderbergh's 'Mosaic' Is the Most Innovative TV Series Maybe Ever". Daily Beast. January 16, 2018. Retrieved October 23, 2018.