Cartago, Valle del Cauca
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cartago (Spanish pronunciation: [kaɾˈtaɣo]) is a city in southwestern Colombia, about 187 miles west of Bogotá. It is in the extreme northern portion of the Valle del Cauca Department. It is located very close to the city of Pereira, about a 20-minute drive. It is the fourth largest city in Valle after Cali, Palmira, and Tuluá. In 2019, it had a population of approximately 135,000 inhabitants.
Municipality and city
Cathedral of Cartago
Location of the municipality and town of Cartago, Colombia in the Valle del Cauca Department of Colombia.
|Department||Valle del Cauca Department|
|• Total||279 km2 (108 sq mi)|
|Elevation||917 m (3,009 ft)|
|• Density||480/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Colombia Standard Time)|
|Area code(s)||57 + 2|
|Website||Official website (in Spanish)|
Cartago features warm weather, about 30 degrees Celsius (≈86 degrees Fahrenheit) or more on a typical day with 80% dryness. The city is home to multiple farmhouses and farm owners, recreational sites, discos and condos frequented by people coming from Pereira.
The University of Valle has a branch campus in Cartago. The main Universidad del Valle campus is based in Cali, the department capital. The Cartago branch campus address is located at Calle 10 N° 19–05. Private institutions include the Instituto Técnico Colombiano, INTEC Cartago and Sena Institute.
Artesanías (handcrafted products) are sold in several roadside shop in the city.
- Festival Pedro Morales Pino de Música Andina Colombiana (February 22 - March 4)
- Feria de diseño independiente LAS PULGAS, organized by 3 VECES. (March and December)
- Encuentro Nacional de las Familias que Cantan, organized by EL CONSERVATORIO PEDRO MORALES PINO (July)
- Paz, Manuel María. "Guahibo Indians, Province of Casanare". World Digital Library. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Paz, Manuel María. "Portrait of a Black Man from Cartago, Province of Cauca". World Digital Library. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
|This Department of Valle del Cauca location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|