|Date||19 August 2020|
|Location||Paderno-Robbiate station[it] (runaway)|
Carnate-Usmate station (derailment)
|Incident type||Runaway and derailment|
The train was reported to have run away from Paderno d'Adda without crew, and with a passenger detected after the derailment. The train was to operate a Paderno d'Adda-Milan service about 25 minutes after the start of the runaway from Paderno d'Adda, which took place about 15 minutes after its arrival from Milan; it included a Class E.464 locomotive (in the rear position), six carriages and a control car.
After travelling for 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), the train was diverted into a siding at Carnate-Usmate station. The control car and the first three carriages of the train derailed. Three people were injured (the passenger, and the 2 crew members while trying to get on the runaway train in Paderno d'Adda); they all suffered minor injuries, and the passenger was taken to the hospital for checks.
The driver and conductor of the train were suspended from duty after the accident.
An investigation was opened into the accident. The Polfer [it] is responsible for investigating railway accidents in Italy. The train event recorder was recovered from the E.464 and handed over to investigators.
- ""Sembrava una bomba": parla l'unico passeggero del treno fantasma deragliato. Sospeso il personale" ["It looked like a bomb": the only passenger on the derailed ghost train speaks. Staff suspended] (in Italian). Lecco Today. 20 August 2020. Retrieved 25 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Treno deraglia poco dopo la stazione: vagoni a pochi metri dalle case" [Carnate, train derails shortly after the station: wagons a few meters from the houses] (in Italian). Today. 19 August 2020. Retrieved 20 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Machinist houdt pauze, trein rijdt weg en ontspoort" [Driver takes a break. Train runs away and derails] (in Dutch). De Telegraaf. Retrieved 19 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "VIDEO: Three injured as 'driverless' train derails in northern Italy". The Local. Retrieved 19 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Amante, Angelo. "Train derails in northern Italy, three injured". Reuters. Retrieved 19 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Train driver, conductor suspended". ANSA. Retrieved 20 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)