Carlos Contreras Aponte
Carlos M. Contreras Aponte is a Puerto Rican civil engineer. He is the Secretary of Transportation and Public Works of Puerto Rico as well as the executive director of the Puerto Rico Highways and Transportation Authority. Contreras Aponte is the first blind person to lead the Department of Transportation.
Contreras Aponte was born in San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico. He obtained his Bachelor's and master's degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. He also holds various engineering certifications such as Professional Traffic Operations Engineer. In 2012, he was recognized as Distinguished Engineer by the Institute of Transportation Engineers. He was Chief of the Highway Authority's Office of Traffic Engineering.
- "Histórico nombramiento de ingeniero ciego para el DTOP", La Perla del Sur (in Spanish), Ponce, Puerto Rico, December 8, 2016, archived from the original on December 5, 2018, retrieved December 4, 2018
- Banuchi, Rebecca (December 8, 2016). "Ricardo Rossello nombra al secretario del DTOP". El Nuevo Dia (in Spanish). San Juan, Puerto Rico: GFR Media. Archived from the original on December 4, 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- "Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) Fiscal Year 2019-2022" (PDF). act.dtop.pr.gov/. DTOP PR. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- "Contreras Aponte, un profesional no vidente, al frente del DTOP". Tu Noticia PR (in Spanish). San Juan, Puerto Rico. December 8, 2016. Archived from the original on December 5, 2018. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Unprecedented: Puerto Rico will have a blind man as Secretary of Transportation, Fox News, December 21, 2016, archived from the original on December 5, 2018, retrieved December 4, 2018