Cadenas de amargura
Cadenas de amargura (English title: Chains of bitterness) is a Mexican telenovela produced by Carlos Sotomayor for Televisa in 1991. This story whose plot revolves around the bitterness and hatred of a woman Evangelina, who retaliates against her niece, due to heartbreak that had happened during the earlier years of her life. Evangelina had many male suitors but, she got stubborn with the one man that fell in love with her sister Natalia. This on the other hand, produced her sister's daughter Cecilia who was giving away to her Brother Roberto and his wife Elsa. Cecelia was made to believe that she was their legitimate child. And the story goes on forward...
|Cadenas de amargura|
|Directed by||Luis Vélez|
|Country of origin||Mexico|
|No. of episodes||80|
|Executive producer||Carlos Sotomayor|
|Original network||Canal de las Estrellas|
|Original release||January 1 –|
April 24, 1991
|Related shows||En nombre del amor|
After the accident that killed her parents, little Cecilia must go live with her aunts, Evangelina and Natalia, both single and very different. Cecilia loves Natalia like a mother, while Evangelina brings her fear. Evangelina is always looking to break the young girl's optimism and resents the young girl.
After a time jump, Cecilia grows up and is on the brink of turning 18. Her neighbor, Sofia, has become her best friend. Sofia wishes to be like any other girl and have Cecilia as her best friend, but Evangelina always tries to prevent Cecilia from having fun. Meanwhile, Natalia notices Evangelina's mistreatment but does nothing but watch as Cecilia suffers because she also fears the strong character of Evangelina.
Meanwhile Sofia has her own issues as she has an estranged father. He abandoned her and her mother for another woman, which causes disdain from Evangelina who disapproves of her neighbors. Both Cecilia and Sofia find love throughout the story.
Sofia falls for a good, noble man named Gerardo, who has just finished his studies and now works in a candy store. He had the option to work in his father's ceramic factory but declines the offer. Meanwhile, Cecilia meets Joaquin, a young accountant, who happens to be friends with Gerardo, as well as work with him. Joaquin falls for Cecilia who doesn't reciprocate his feelings but still they become a couple.
Furthermore, she starts to think about her future and which university she should go to with the money her parents left her. Evangelina discovers the secret courtship between Cecilia and Joaquin and begins to devise a plan to end the relationship. Joaquin, not knowing what he's against, asks for Cecilia's hand in marriage; but Evangelina poisons him, ending any happiness between Cecilia and him.
Cecilia begins to think she will never leave her aunt's home and considers herself a prisoner. Cecilia decides to continue her university plans but Evangelina will not tolerate her having a bright future and tells her, her father left no inheritance for her. She begins searching for clues and soon discovers her real heritage.
Evangelina tries to murder her by pushing her down the stairs, but she manages to injure herself badly instead. Fighting for her life, she is visited by a local parish named Father Julio. Another part of the story is Gerardo and Cecilia slowly falling in love and having to confess their secret to Sofia, while trying not to hurt her as they both care for Sofia.
Julio is a pivotal point as he was Natalia's lover before Evangelina separated them out of jealousy. She made Julio believe Natalia had married another man, while telling Natalia she'd received news via an anonymous telegram that Julio had died.
Julio is actually alive; he is devastated by the news of Natalia being married so he decides to become a priest. Natalia soon discovers she is pregnant; and, on Evangelina's advice, gives the child to her brother and his wife. The child given away turns out to be Cecilia.
The presence of Julio becomes the main trigger to break Evangelina's bitterness and hatred, who after murdering Natalia, is out to ruin Cecilia. Cecilia is unaware of this and just wants a happy life with Gerardo at her side.
- Diana Bracho as Evangelina Vizcaíno Lara, sister of Natalia and Roberto, aunt of Cecilia, jealous of Natalia and Julio.
- Daniela Castro as Cecilia Vizcaíno Robles, adoptive daughter of Roberto and Elsa, biological daughter of Natalia and Julio.
- Raúl Araiza as Gerardo Garza Osuna, son of Renato and Elena, friend of Víctor and Joaquín, works at Manuel's candy store.
- Delia Casanova as Natalia Vizcaíno Lara, sister of Evangelina and Roberto, Cecilia's biological mother, former love of Julio.
- Fernando Luján as Father Julio, biological father of Cecilia, former love of Natalia who became a priest.
- Cynthia Klitbo as Sofía Gastelum Fernández, daughter of Armando and Martha, Cecilia's best friend.
- Tina Romero as Martha Fernández ex de Gastelum, Armando's ex-wife and Sofía's mother.
- Hilda Aguirre as Elena Osuna de Garza, Renato's wife and Gerardo's mother.
- Raymundo Capetillo as Renato Garza, Elena's husband and Gerardo's father.
- Alexis Ayala as Víctor Medina Blanco, friend of Gerardo and Joaquín.
- Aurora Molina as Jovita, servant of the Vizcaíno family and Natalia's lifelong companion.
- Raúl Magana as Joaquín de la Peña Barraza, son of Rosa and Salvador, friend of Gerardo and Víctor.
- Gilberto Román as Manuel Alejo, owns a candy store, in love with Martha.
- Marcela Páez as Sister Angélica Sepulveda, a nun that befriends Cecilia.
- Raquel Pankowsky as Inés Blancarte, close friend of the Vizcaíno family.
- Tiaré Scanda as Liliana Ayala
- Jorge Salinas as Roberto Herrera
- Juan Carlos Colombo as Armando Gastelum, Martha's ex-husband and Sofía's father, left his family.
- Cecilia Romo as Mother Superiora, the mother superior of the convent.
- Miguel Córcega as Father José María
- Bolivar Hack as Roberto Vizcaíno Lara, Elsa's husband, brother of Evangelina and Natalia, Cecilia's adoptive father. (Dies in a car accident)
- Ivette Proal as Elsa Robles de Vizcaino, Roberto's wife and Cecilia's adoptive mother, sterile. (Dies in a car accident)
- Roberto Montiel as Felipe Andrade
- Luis Cárdenas as Salvador de la Peña, Rosa's husband and Joaquín's father.
- Marta Resnikoff as Rosa Barraza de de la Peña, Salvador's wife and Joaquín's mother.
- Gloria Izaguirre as Carmelita Ríos
- Rosa Elena Díaz as Mrs. Cuéllar, Cecilia's art teacher.
- Mercedes Gironella as Sister Lucero
- Margarita Ambriz as Toña
- Graciela Bernardos as Lupita
- Jacqueline Munguía as Imelda
- María Dolores Oliva as Rita
- Arturo Paulet as Dr. García
- Alejandra Jurado as Irene
- Toni Ramírez as Monja
- Dacia Arcaráz as Monja
- Karen Beatriz as Cecilia Vizcaíno (child)
- Priscila Reyes as Sofía Gastelum (child)
|1992||10th TVyNovelas Awards||Best Telenovela of the Year||Carlos Sotomayor||Won|
|Best Actress||Diana Bracho|
|Best Young Lead Actress||Daniela Castro|
|Best Young Lead Actor||Raúl Araiza|
|Best Antagonist Actress||Cynthia Klitbo|
|Best Leading Actress||Aurora Molina||Nominated|
|Best Leading Actor||Fernando Luján|
|Best Co-lead Actress||Delia Casanova|
|Best Co-lead Actor||Raymundo Capetillo|
|Best Direction||Luis Vélez||Won|
|Best Direction of the Camaras||Carlos Guerra|